The Online-Go.com user interface is now open source :)

This is amazing, I love it, it’s gonna be great! :+1::wink: Pretty big choice to make!

I will definitely star the repo and see if and how I can contribute.

3 Likes

Awesome news.

IANAC (I Am Not A Coder), but I’m an almost pathological news junkie, very curious to learn new things, etc., so I’ve been following a lot of Go projects on github for perhaps the past 12 months.

This here is an especially interesting project: https://github.com/waltheri/go-libraries, an attempt to create a hub for Go-related projects on github.

But what I actually wanted to say here is this: never since I’ve begun receiving mails that notify me of any pull request or issue or update (or whatever) on github have I received SO MANY MAILS from github, perhaps two dozen per day now, and almost all about OGS :smiley: I think this is A Good Thing™.

5 Likes

Fantastic! This is right move for OGS in the right direction!

3 Likes

This is a good thing. I wouldn’t be scared about anyone else running their own site, I don’t think you earn any unreasonable amount for running OGS.

A good choice of license as well. Perhaps you want to make it clear in the README as well :slight_smile:

No autotests at all?

3 Likes

Another thing that protects OGS from copycats is the network effect - people will want to play where there are opponents available. A copycat newcomer would have to create a considerable better experience in order to even begin to get users of OGS to convert. Ain’t happening anytime soon, I think!

3 Likes

Fantastic news! Unfortunately I don’t have time (and likely the skill) to contribute, but think this is a great development. My wish would be that, in addition to the fancy interface currently here, a simple and minimalist interface that works in most browsers would also be available…

Looking forward to the developments stemming from this decision!

2 Likes

For someone not too familiar with open source projects: if a pull request gets merged, how long does it take after that until the users can see the change?
In other words: what is the release cycle?

2 Likes

As of today, there are 43 forks on GitHub.

If only a quarter of these turn into contributors, that’s an amazing result in the first few days. Keep it up folks!

6 Likes

Basically “as a batch of changes becomes stable and ready”, I expect the first batch to go out today.

10 Likes

Is there an API available? I’ve had some ideas for integrating OGS into some other tools.

2 Likes

Yes, there has been for as long as I can remember. The documentation is far from perfect, but a forum search will turn up answers to common issues.

3 Likes

while yes, someone could, assuming the back end were also available, i think you’re discounting
network effects. most of what makes a go server valuable is the community, players, ranking population, etc.

if joe decided to make an ogs clone, no one would really have any reason to visit joe’s go server

but consider the opposite, that all sorts of various go thingies may crop up, all using ogs as an indentity service (user database) and game broker. for example instead of pestering m/a to do rengo, somone could write a rengo service thats fully integrated with ogs, uses the same client, same user database, and plays the game on the server. then a/m just just decide to pull it into the central service if they like it, or leave it alone off to the side.

or a different ranking mechanism. or an automatch system. or a game search library, or a different kibitz mechanism, or a different review tool…or something that synched audio clips with sgf trees, or ‘cyborg go’ (hi spot), where an ai and a player can plot out moves together, or…

5 Likes

ooh…or imagine ‘cheating rengo’ or ‘super teacher’ mode where you can share variations with someone during a live game

2 Likes

Hi OGS,

I’m having trouble finding the files for the textures of the stones. I’m a graphic designer, not a programmer, and would like to see how I could redraw the stones.

Thanks

4 Likes

We don’t use static texture files for the stones, they are rendered on the fly here: https://github.com/online-go/online-go.com/blob/devel/src/lib/ogs-goban/themes/rendered_stones.ts … though if someone wants to create a stone theme that uses pre-rendered stones that could be done.

3 Likes

5 posts were split to a new topic: Leave Game Notes To Your Future Self

Should we use the github issue tracker for API/server bugs? Or are you just using it for client issues?

API / Server issues too, we’ll label them as such so they can be distinguished

3 Likes

Great, thanks for the reply.

Is there a way to permanently have the theme set the way you like, instead of having to do it every time I log in. I noticed this changed after OGS went open source