The Sommelier Game

Just use the buttons like a caveman?

Sorry, I don’t understand what you mean.

@Jhyn odd! @anoek may know something. Until then, if you post the sgf here on the forums with a generic filename, I’ll upload it to my library and post it here (unless there’s a sitewide issue with the libraries).

1 Like

It also happens when there are any special characters in the file. (Yes, it’s a bug: Upload with server error 500 )

1 Like

This is what I wanted to do at first, but I forgot to change the filename. Then, after changing the filename, I had another issue: when downloading the sgf, the old filename was given as default (as if the system noticed two identical sgf had been uploaded and offered the older one). Anyway, I removed a space in the file and here it is. (no special symbol that I can see, still 500 server error)

Sommelier3.sgf (1.0 KB)

Here’s the game. At first it threw a server 500 error for me too. But it uploaded after I removed “RE[]” from the sgf. OGS apparently doesn’t know what to do with a blank result field.

1 Like

I’ll take the obvious bait and say that it’s a Takemiya game. He plays a few untypical moves though, so I’m going to suggest that he was getting a bit experimental and it was the 1990s.

1 Like

This looks like Takemiya’s cosmic Go, so the range is mid 1970s through the early 2000s. Black’s end position consists of 100% influence, whereas White’s end position consists of 100% territory, including all four corners. Because of that, I’m thinking White is Cho Chikun or Kobayashi Koichi, though that doesn’t really narrow the range at all. Joseki choices fit with what pros were playing in the 80s or 90s. I’ll say

1980s

(since bugcat said 1990s)

1 Like
Spoiler

Well done! Everybody guessed right. This is the decisive game of the 1985 Kisei finals; Black is Takemiya Masaki, White is Cho Chikun. Cho won the game by a point and a half.

(I hesitated with some less typical 80s-90s games but thought it would just be too difficult and random luck)

2 Likes
alala

Takeymya for black sure but not Cho for w not his style so Kobayashi although I can’t really say.

And don’t give me any credit I m too late if so

So it was Cho ok

1 Like

Alright. Guess the vintage:

This is a hard one to judge. The weird low move at (42) is throwing me off. I initally thought, because the lower left looked a bit modern, that this game was turn-of-the-century but all the games I would study from that time would have White being more assertive, playing (42) at J5 for instance. (45) also looks a bit odd and passive.

So I’m gonna guess that this is a game from around Shuwa’s time, the 1850s.

1 Like

Definitely old style opening I mean XIXc
Nice game but I just can’t say anything more.

1 Like

If you’re right about the game being XIXc, do you want to guess if it’s before, during, or after the 1850s, to differentiate your guess from bugcat’s?

Ok then I would say before so 1840

2 Likes

This looks so weird. Is it a pro game?

My guess

I agree with the 19th century guess, althought I would be hard pressed to say why. It feels very tactical, I’m gonna go with Honinbo Jowa’s style and say 1830s.

1 Like

@mark5000 Time for the reveal?

This was a tricky one. Noone guessed correctly, but @bugcat was closest! The game was Tamura Hoju v. Hayashi Senji, 1889.

Waltheri has a totally different attribution than GoBase does: Nakagawa Senji v. Honinbo Shusai, 1889. But this isn’t totally off the mark. 15-year-old Tamura Hoju would go on to be the 21st and last hereditary head of the Honinbō house, as successor to Shūei. Tamura/Shūsai was also the last Honinbō before turning over the title to the newly formed Nihon Kiin in 1924.

Shūsai was a deep-thinking player. The fashion for relatively slow play in Japan has been traced back to his influence. Time limits and clocks were introduced during his lifetime, much to his ire. He emphasized efficiency by playing farther and sometimes higher extensions, with the intention of providing better global protection to weak points. This method has been referred to as “harmony breaking.” Be that as it may, his opening style did not influence many others—his influence was cut short by the arrival of shinfuseki openings.

Well done @bugcat! Now it’s up to you to provide the next round!

5 Likes

Round 5!

1 Like
meh

Let say Cho chikun as black, because he always lives and Kato the killer as white because there is a crazy attack here. So 1985 maybe?
I m sure to be completely wrong of course.

1 Like