The Sommelier Game

I’m getting serious deja vu here. Is this another Shūsai game?

1910s

Shall I reveal, or give it another few hours? Neither of you have got it exactly right.

Maybe @Jhyn @KAOSkonfused @kingkaio @Samraku @TheGoban or @Vsotvep want to guess?

2 Likes

I must admit that I’m not too familiar with any pro games from before I started playing, as my only source of games has been the NHK cup and the occasional commentary video by one of the many go youtubers.

I enjoy the conversation, though :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I am afraid that I also must admit that I am not knowledgeable enough to take a stab at this but good luck to those that do!

1 Like

That means @mark5000 is the winner of this round, guessing just a little too early with the 1910s.

The game was Kitani Minoru – Takahashi Shigeyuki, 1924

Kitani’s games are some of the most unique and enjoyable ones from the historical record. At different times in his career he was both a very strong territorial and influential player, and was ofc a leading light in the shin fuseki movement. He was responsible for tutoring most of the talent that dominated the Go world in the '70s, '80s, and '90s such as Takemiya, Cho Chikun, and Kobayashi.

Over to you, Mark ^^

3 Likes

Here’s Round 6:

2 Likes

I think White is Yasui Senchi. Let’s try the 1790s.

2 Likes

I m going to give from here, enjoyed it but that’s too hard for me

1 Like

I realise I don’t know enough pro games to answer these.

Oh well.

The joseki phase looks really weird to me, but a big part of the middlegame as well. This is either a part of the shinfuseki I’m not familiar with, or more modern pros with a specific style that I don’t know. It certainly looks more crazy than the 70s - 80s style but has no AI moves, so I’m gonna try the 2000s.

3 Likes

@bugcat guessed as close as possible while missing the decade: the game was Honinbo Retsugen v. Yasui Senchi, 1786.

Senchi became the seventh head of the Yasui house from 1780-1814 and was the strongest player of his day. His style emphasized central influence, and he has been called the Grandfather of Modern Go.

Senchi eventually achieved the rank of Jun-Meijin, alongside his opponent here, Honinbo Retsugen. But even though he and Retsugen shared the same rank, Senchi had the superior skill. Retsugen’s record against Senchi is 2 wins and 13 losses.

@bugcat is up!

3 Likes

I think I might have seen that exact game before, I’ve heavily studied a few Senchi games since I enjoy his style. He reminds me of Jowa, which is I sometimes put forward the idea that Jowa “popularised Senchi’s metagame.”

2 Likes

Round 7~

3 Likes

Looks fresh to me. 1990s

1 Like

I don’t know nearly enough about Go history to take a guess here, but it’s fun to read the thread.

3 Likes
My guess

The game has a very “normal” feel to me (you can begin to see my scientific approach). Most pro games I studied are 1970s and later so I would put it there, but definitely pre-AI. If I have to guess, pre-Lee Sedol because the shapes at the beginning don’t look too crazy. Let’s go with 1980s.

2 Likes

Announcing in an hour. Neither of you have the right decade~

3 Likes

Righto. The game was Yamashita Keigo – O Rissei 2008. Yamashita is one of my favourite players, especially when he was young and more quick-minded. He was essentially a sort of modern Shuho or Japanese Lee Sedol. His style was to surround an opponent’s group within his influence, no matter how difficult a task faced him, and lock himself into killing it.

2 Likes

Oh, I forgot to specify; ofc that means @mark5000 wins this round.

3 Likes

Round 8. This is also not on ps.waltheri.net.

4 Likes