The Sommelier Game

This feels so old, no influence, pure fighting. Yet it doesn’t have fixed stone placement. I’m gonna go as old as I can and say Huang Longshi, although I can’t find any of his games for comparison. So let’s say 1680s.

4 Likes

I don’t think this is an ancient Chinese game because the hoshi aren’t crossed, and furthermore they emerge in a very free move order. So I reckon it’s from the late-20th century. Let’s try the 1970s since the '80s were a previous answer and I reckon Mark avoided them.

3 Likes

@Jhyn takes this one. The game is Kosaka Masanobu v. Takeda Shingen, 1566.

This was tricky because the players are not professionals but military leaders. Takeda was a pre-eminent daimyō in feudal Japan with exceptional military prestige. He and his exploits have been depicted in a variety of movies and video games, such as Heaven and Earth, Total War and Total War: Shogun 2 and Pokémon Conquest. He also played Go. And his opponent here is Kosaka Masanobu—samurai, one of Takeda’s 24 generals, and Takeda’s lover (homosexual love pacts being quite in vogue).

Little is known about the circumstances of this game, but it’s as bloody as you’d expect from two military leaders. There are no fixed stones because those appeared only in the Chinese iteration of Go.

Off to you @Jhyn!

4 Likes

Let’s hope this one is harder than the last. I found this game and like the beginning very much, because almost none of the moves I would play myself.

(by the way, OGS seems to suggest there is no komi, but I removed this information, so don’t believe it)

3 Likes

Well, no-one’s played Move 17 since since the 1910s since, as-far as I can tell, it was a handicap or no-komi “joseki” in which Black agreed to accept a small loss to avoid the true taisha. I also have the feeling, though I’m not sure, that it wasn’t being played before the early 19th century either. So the range I’m looking at there is about 1820 – 1920. Generally I’d plump for the later end, but some of the moves by Black are making me think otherwise.

Black atari’ing instead of extending on 17 is all I really have to go on here.

Let’s try the 1860s, Shusaku days.

3 Likes

This game looks Japanese. The players are studiously avoiding 4-4, which suggests shinfuseki hasn’t quite taken hold. Still, the game reminds me of something players around that time would have done—getting freer but not yet with wild abandon.

1930s

4 Likes

I’ll wait a few more hours before giving the answer, in hopes that somebody wants to join the game. I think 24h per round is reasonable?

1 Like

Okay, hoping for the best: I think this is a game from somewhere in the 1990s (1992 to be more exact). The joseki starting with P15 was very popular at my go club (Nijmegen, NL) at that time, so …

2 Likes

@Jhyn give us the answer, lad

1 Like

Sorry, I meant to do it yesterday evening, completely slipped my mind.

You had some nice ideas, the game is indeed pre-shinfuseki but not by far: the good answer is 1910s. So mark was the closest, although bugcat had it in their range.

The game was between Suzuki Tamejiro and Segoe Kenzaku in 1911. With Honinbo Shusai in semi-retirement and his heir deceased, and Go Seigen not yet at his best, they were probably the two strongest players at the time. Black being in the lead the whole game, the reporter commented only on white moves which greatly angered Suzuki.

(All this info from John Fairbairn at lifein19x19)

4 Likes

Let’s pass it over to @mark5000 then for Round 10.

1 Like

Round 10

3 Likes

Huh, I don’t think I’ve ever seen P4. It doesn’t seem great for White. Big, high pincers seem to have been in fashion. IDK, I’m having trouble with this one. Let’s say the 1960s.

3 Likes
Summary

hi im stupid and i don’t watch go games so lets go with 1980s

3 Likes

I’m stupid like dachen11 and I really don’t know so i’ll go with 1930’s

1 Like

@bugcat takes this one. The game is Sakata Eio 8p v. Takagawa Kaku 8p, Dec. 1954.

This is one of the classic rivalries in Go. At one time, Sakata and Takagawa played each other more times in tournament play than any other players: at least 48 times by my count (in Sakata’s favor 35:13). In 1961 alone, they contested 6 title matches with 16 games. But in 1954, their record was 1:2 in Takagawa’s favor. The game took place as part of a promotion tournament—both players presumably playing for their 9p, which both players would eventually receive. But Sakata got his the very next year, whereas Takagawa had to wait until 1961. After all, Sakata won this game.

@bugcat’s turn.

4 Likes

Round 11.

By the way @Jhyn , who was Shusai’s heir?

1 Like
My Guess

hi maybe 1920’s

hmm

probably not that modern
also not to non-modern (theres probably better wording) 4-4 point

hmm...

I’m probably not going to win

3 Likes

Oh God, this could be any era. I’m pretty certain we’re not earlier than the 1890s, since there’s a 4-4 point and a Shusaku-like opening pattern. But this game could be equally at home in the pre-AI 2010s. I’ll say…

1960s

…because one player kind of reminds me of Takagawa Kaku.

EDIT:

I was too hasty. The game was likely played without komi. That narrows the range a lot, and before my first guess. So I’ll change my answer to the last decade without komi that I know of.

1950s

3 Likes

This might help

3 Likes