The Sommelier Game

@kingkaio got you covered :slight_smile: I’d like to play but I don’t think I have the time right now unfortunately.

2 Likes

This game was Honinbo Shusai – Honinbo Shugen, 1897.

@kingkaio wins this round with his guess of the 1920s, although he was closer with his first attempt of the 1900s. This was one of thirteen recorded games that they played together that year.

Shugen, together with his predecessor Shuetsu, and Jowa’s successor Josaku, form the three “obscure Honinbos” of the 19th century who were not considered to be particularly strong relative to their contemporaries and are little-known today.

(* You could include Retsugen (Honinbo 1788-1808 in this list) but he seems better categorised in the 18th century.)

Shugen was head of the Honinbo house from 1879 – 1884, between the leadership of Shuetsu and Shuei. After Shuei’s death in 1907, he again took over the role until Shusai assumed the position in 1908.

Your turn, kingkaio.

2 Likes

Are you guys doing a demo board for this?

Deo as in deodorant or demo?

1 Like

See my earlier post.

1 Like

Thanks @mark5000
I used besogo (made by @yebellz) because I just wanted to try it out

3 Likes

19 is a noticeably cautious move, which suggests to me that this isn’t a really modern game and that komi was less, maybe something like 4.5. The general flow of the game is also very peaceful, which makes me think this is a Japanese game, and not a recent one. Of course, with the opening it’s probably not going to be that old, and probably not part of the shin fuseki era either.

Let’s say the 1950s.

3 Likes
Résumé

Kitani vs Go Seigen 1940

2 Likes

I’m not sure why everyone thinks this game is mid-century. White won by 8.5, which means komi was 5.5, which is also what the game record says. That sets the 1955 Oza as the earliest possible time, unless memory fails me. I’ll put my guess at

1980s

3 Likes

Ah, so this is why you suggested we remove the result tag. Seems like if we’re not going to reveal the value of komi then we can’t reveal the score margin either, or mean dan players will count the board… Nice strategy though.

5 Likes

@mark5000 won this one. The year was 1975. This was a 1st edition tengen title tournament game. It was the first game with Fujisawa Hideyuki and Ohira Shuzo. I actually have the real sgf here.

3 Likes

Round 13

1 Like
Uh, I'm really just kinda guessing

R10? what? What? I have never seen that. And then the ones surrounding it. I can’t say its a long time ago because of komi but idk

EDIT

Ok so according to mark5000’s post the 6.5 komi is false.
Let Me guess 1740
(I’m really just guessing)

2 Likes

I don’t want to deceive anyone: the 6.5 komi is false. I recall deleting the komi field in the sgf, but it seems that defaults to 6.5 komi. The game precedes the 1980s when 6.5 komi was introduced.

2 Likes

I think Shusai once played R10, so 1910s.

3 Likes

@kingkaio guessed closer. The game is Yasui Santetsu v. Nakamura Doseki, 1625/26.

In 1600, Tokugawa Ieyasu finished reunifying Japan, and he became shogun three years later. Like his predecessors, Ieyasu was a keen Go player, and he took a number of steps to ensure the future development of Go. The first was the establishment of the post of “godokoro,” a salaried government position awarded to the Meijin. The second was the establishment, in 1605, of the “castle games,” played between the top players in the shogun’s presence. And the most far-reaching change was the establishment of the four Go schools in 1612: Honinbo, Inoue (founded by Nakamura Doseki), Yasui (founded by Yasui Santetsu), and Hayashi.

This game is a castle game between the founders of the Inoue and Yasui schools. It’s a famous one from the period because of Black’s first move on the side. Fun fact: There’s an alternative (and more plausible) game record in which White plays 78 at M17 to kill the Black group at the top.

You’re up @kingkaio.

2 Likes

It is on Walthieri, that is why I withdrew my answer.
:slight_smile:

2 Likes

Yes, thank you. Most of these games will be in Waltheri’s collection, because it’s a large collection. A few haven’t been, and this one didn’t give the year, but sleuthing really does spoil the fun we’re all having. Good sommeliers don’t peek at the label. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Round 14

1 Like

Good sommeliers. Well, maybe that is the problem. I am an average player (usuallly hovering between 9-11 kyu). For those who don’t have an extensive knowledge of pro games, this game is much too hard.
How about a Sommelier game for dummies? Maybe with some hints?

3 Likes