Through the Years: Long Correspondence

I’m doing some stats too and I noticed some weird pairing.
I don’t know how to point that without using players names: no bad intentions in that.

Fair Fight is a lonesome 21k between SDK.
Seventus is a 3d between 7-11k.
jacky55016’s group spans from shodan to 7k.

There are few more groups that span over 4-6 rank levels, while the others are nicely paired.
There are dozens of groups with ten players of the same rank.

5 Likes

Promise is a big word. Real live might interfere. And - let’s be honest - it’s not unthinkable that at some point I may lose interest in this tournament or even in go generally. And let’s not forget I might die. So let’s say ‘hope’ instead of ‘promise’. :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Here you can see player’s ranks for each group.
Size is number of players. Dans are positive, kyus are negative. Provisional ranks (?) are excluded.

10 Likes

Wasn’t there recently a big shake up with the rating system, which may have inadvertently caused further ratings issues?

I imagine those issues have impacted the groupings in this tournament. I have not been following those threads closely, but my understanding is that there were major changes to the ratings system, which adjusted a lot players’ ranks, roughly a week before this tournament started. However, major issues were then noticed right around the time that the tournament started, so while players’ ratings will eventually be corrected, the groups have already been set using the incorrectly adjusted ranks.

9 Likes

Hey S_Alexander! Thanks triple for all your hard work putting this together! It’s awesome!

4 Likes

Finished my first game!
I just realized that you can get a preview of the game. Using this, I can find out that the first OGS game was:

:slight_smile: (It couldn’t load before)

3 Likes

It’s possible.
I don’t know the code so I let the TD @S_Alexander and OGS team decide if there’s need for further investigations.

I think what’s done is done for the first round. Games have already started, and some have even finished. It’s impractical to reset the first round (even though it has just begun its multi-year journey).

The groups might not be as accurately matched (in terms of actual strength) as they could be, but that’s okay. I think the groups in subsequent rounds will be reseeded, so the issue won’t persist.

2 Likes

I can’t imagine my heirs will file a claim to adjust my rank in my memory, tbh.

8 Likes

Crunched some numbers and made a little figure

11 Likes

I agree.

I don’t think it’s doable in any way.

Well, I am fine, but we could ask Fair Fight and Seventus. Looks like they’ll face a quite frustrating first round.

That’s not what I had in mind: if the groups have some failings there could be a bug to track and fix before next round and for the happiness of all living subscribers of whatever tournament (even those without thousands of people and dozens of rounds).

3 Likes

The only thing that is actually kind of annoying is the 3-player group when the minimum is set to 5.
Maybe it was explained in the tournament chat but I dare not try to load that page again.

3 Likes

At the end of the day, it just comes down to what you want to do. Everyone’s different, and sometimes it is nice to just sit down and have a good time!

So I would say there is absolutely nothing wrong with finishing quickly.

3 Likes

How did you count 2234 players? Others have noted 2233

Proof that this will last forever. We have a time traveler, ladies and gents.

5 Likes

Some more question marks: how do starting points work?

Tournament settings are bars for 6 an 2k:

But in this group 3k players got -3 while 6 and 7k players were given -2.

Shouldn’t stronger players start with a higher score?

2 Likes

You can access the tournament without loading the tournament page at Play Go at online-go.com! | OGS by selecting the tournament in the left navigation bar :wink:

4 Likes

Oh noes, I’ll have to eat my words and activate chat notifications now, won’t I?

(@Celebrir thanks for the tip :wink:)

Yes, it should. I’d guess we’re using the old ratings here.

Playing currently on a vintage machine, I can’t either load the tournament page, or open the alternative PDF file. Thanks to all the above messages, I got a global idea of the Big Picture. Locally in my group as I write, I have 8 ongoing games. The 9th opponent has not moved yet. My most advanced game has already 58 moves, which I find playing way too fast.
And : is there a way to see at a glance what happens in my group, without loading the whole tournament page?

3 Likes