Through the Years: Long Correspondence

I figured with over 2230 players we would have at least a dozen players in most ranks.

• BTW, I was writing mostly to point out (so I will repeat) in the games in which we play Black we get THREE DAYS (3 days!) to make the first move - at least that is what the clock says in my 9 games - but after making the fist move the clock went up to 28 days… White had 28 days from the start… It seems to me they should also have 3 days to make the first move, or maybe BOTH players should have started with a week? I hope nobody is on vacation and off-line these next 3 days. :grimacing:
3 Likes

I think (don’t quote me, I’m usually wrong) that in live games too black has limited time to make the first move, regardless of the game clock settings.

3 Likes

Thanks for the explanation of McMahon and Round Robin, @topazg, once again a moment when I’m thankful for the “bookmark” feature of the Discourse forum software. But how well you explained it, like “for a five-year-old”, exactly how I need it, I might not even need these bookmarks again :slight_smile:

7 Likes

WOW! I wasn’t expecting to be be playing more than one game at a time. Now I have 8. I am inexperienced with tournaments. This is more than I bargained for. I think I want out. Thanks

It’s closer to “once a month”, really.

3 Likes

@Sun_Hawk, please try and stay in, as fast as you will learn we might get to play each other there, and the time restriction is extremely slow … it’s an awesome way to connect with nice Go players all over the world … I’ve made friends with folks this way :slight_smile: and 28 days for your next move is cool, no? :wink:

You can drop outta the tournament at ANY time if it REALLY gets too frightening, but … I don’t think you‘re one to get frightened that easily :slight_smile:

7 Likes

You get a week per move, so it’s basically only 1 or 2 moves per day you have to make to keep up with 9 simultaneous games.

6 Likes

Okay, I’ll hang tight. Thanks

8 Likes

Is there a graph showing the number of games being played on OGS over the last month or two (or year or two)?

Once in a lifetime.
Take a moment, don’t click the cross too fast.

tournament

5 Likes

With any luck I’ll be able to update that page so it doesn’t kill your browser to look at it, I think I have a pretty good idea on how to do that without too much trouble.

That’s a lot of games.

7 Likes

I think I got taken out of the tournament but I never dropped out…

1 Like

Opening the pdf crashed my pdf viewer…

2 Likes

You can download it and open it locally, it works ok offline.

Newletter:

It’s alive!

Congratulations, everyone! The tournament has started!

The total number of players is 2233 which seems to translate into 223 10-player groups and one 3-player group. The number of matches in the first round is 10038. Considering we have slightly more than 31000 active correspondence games on OGS right now, that’s almost a third! A few people got scared, more than 60 matches are finished already!

The tournament took quite a while to boot up. The start time was 0:00 on July 1st, Moscow time. At 00:08:46 the notification about the tournament start was sent out and the server began starting games. At 00:31:19 all games were started, and the server was quite laggy even after that. So it took more than half an hour to start!

I saved the tournament page as pdf so it’s easier to look through groups until we get a better solution: linky (better download and open it locally).

With the number of players this large, games are pretty evenly matched. The very top group consists of high dans only. I hope they’ll have fun playing each other.

Quite funny how the numbers work. Out of more than 2000 players, there’re only 75 dans. One dan player per around 30 kyu players.

Important notice: black get only 3 days to make their first move!

Other than that, no need to rush. It’ll surely take quite a while so take your time. Have fun, everyone!

Phew, now let’s forget about this like it was just a bad dream. I’m not gonna try to repeat anything like this anytime soon.

19 Likes

Besides games that ended because someone immediately resigned, this appears to be the first game that finished.

It even went to scoring (W+1.5) and, based on the chat timestamps, it took only about 1 hour and 10 minutes of actual play time.

@_oopsImStoned

15 Likes

When I was a bit younger and had more time on my hands I confess that I was responsible for quickly finishing many games in McMahon tournaments. I would get lucky and run into my opponent when he/she was making their move and we would both sit down together and just play the game out right then and their like it was a live match.

But now I have come to the point where I really appreciate just taking my time on each move and taking advantage of the fact that the game is correspondence. It is a little lesson I learned from one of my few DDK students some time back.

This particular player spent literally a few hours on some moves and would think about it for about 15- 30 minutes at a time. I am no serious teacher and I haven’t seen how quickly everyone progresses but I have to say that this guy learned much quicker than anyone else I have ever met, eventually surpassing me even though I had been playing much longer and had many more games under my belt. He played very few games total and unfortunately stopped playing nearly two years ago but had a great lesson for me as a serious player.

Some people don’t always want to wait that long though and so prefer to move things along quicker. It really just depends on the kind of person you are. I just don’t see the need to rush anymore.

10 Likes

yeah… I was at the bar and bored so figured I’d play it out.

oops

10 Likes

I wonder how long I will take to finish my games. I won’t be last, but nowhere near first either.

3 Likes

Hurray, it has started. Many thanks to S_Alexander for taking the initiative (and all the invitation work)!

Here are some stats that I generated from a snapshot a few hours ago:

Total number of participants:          2233
Total number of players in this round: 2233 (100.00%)
-----------------------------------------------------------
The following data is about the current round only.
Disqualified or dropped out:              1 (0.04%)
Still competing:                       2232 (99.96%)
Number of groups:                       224
Progress: 93 games decided out of 10038 (0.93%)
Max. games decided by a single player:           9
Min. games decided by a single player:           0
Max. games still open for a single player:       9
Min. games still open for a single player:       0
Max. fraction of games done by a single player: 100.00%
Min. fraction of games done by a single player: 0.00%
Number of players having finished all games:     7 (0.31%)
Number of players having finished no games:     2131 (95.43%)
Groups with all games finished:                  0 (0.00%)
Groups with no games finished:                  208 (92.86%)

So far it’s pretty boring, but I plan to post this every Wednesday from now on.

15 Likes

Only one person has withdrawn, but several others have immediately resigned all (or nearly) of their games. Perhaps, most of those intended to withdraw as well, but did not understand that they have not yet. If they are still active years from now, they might be surprised to get notifications about their second round games starting. Then again, perhaps a lot of people, still intending to participate, will also be surprised when the second round eventually starts.

Promise to do this for the rest of the tournament?

7 Likes