Through the Years: Long Correspondence

It can take some time.

It actually wasn’t working for my own go to browser (firefox) because Privacy Badger was blocking the API requests to the online-go API. So make sure that you don’t have any browser plugins that might block it.

Also like @S_Alexander said, it can take some time. Even though the browser is doing less work, I still have to download a pretty large JSON file and do some initial work. It take around 1–2 seconds on a decent PC and a fast connection. I would give it up to ten seconds on an older phone and a slow 3G connection.

I haven’t implemented any loading indicator or error message, so you will see an empty page for any of the following reasons a) we are loading the data, b) loading the data failed (e.g. user does not exist), or c) the page isn’t working in your browser. I know it’s a terrible UX, but I spent less then an afternoon making it, so perhaps things will improve :wink:

2 Likes

Thanks a lot for your effort, @runarberg !
It’s great that you can do this in an afternoon. This code can be adapted to many other purposes when modified.

1 Like

If I click on the link in my previous message it works fine and in less than a second.
If I copypaste it in my browser it doesn’t.
If I then refresh the page, sometimes it works.

I think it should be something on my side but I can’t imagine what. Anyway, now I have a workaround, so don’t mind.
Thank you for your work.

1 Like

I just pushed a “fix” where we do async loading of data—as opposed to load all or fail. I think is a little more versatile (I’m getting problems with 429s). I’ll try to find time to add indexedDB next weekend so that we can use this without hitting the API with too many requests :peace_symbol:

5 Likes

Numbers update:

Total number of participants:          2233
Total number of players in this round: 2233 (100.00%)
-----------------------------------------------------------
The following data is about the current round only.
Disqualified or dropped out:            119 (5.33%)
Still competing:                       2114 (94.67%)
Number of groups:                       224
Progress: 905 games decided out of 10038 (9.02%)
Max. games decided by a single player:           9
Min. games decided by a single player:           0
Max. games still open for a single player:       9
Min. games still open for a single player:       0
Max. fraction of games done by a single player: 100.00%
Min. fraction of games done by a single player: 0.00%
Number of players having finished all games:    24 (1.07%)
Number of players having finished no games:     1290 (57.77%)
Groups with all games finished:                  0 (0.00%)
Groups with no games finished:                  55 (24.55%)
11 Likes
  • extinct
5 Likes

I reckon only the first round will take 6 years. Once the disinterested withdraw/timeout, I think it will be only a few years per round. None the less, many players will no longer be with us by the time this ends.

5 Likes

How will they be remaining if they are extinct?

3 Likes

Book on Duration of First Round.
Ok, not strictly a book since there’s no money involved.
This is a place to record your best guess of how long it will take to complete the first round.
We can all check back here n years later and see who was closest.

I'll go first. 5 years and 1 month.
3 Likes

Fair point. I’ll change my reply to:

• remaining?!

do our AI successors count (not cyborgs, I mean the species that will replace humanity)?

4 Likes

Current Chat (I missed some of it as it loses chat based on amount rather than time).

July 5, 2020

[11:12]Cryoman: * my opponent: Yo man, good luck

[11:13]Cryoman: me: You wish good luck to an enemy? :smiley:

[11:14]Shinkenjoe: so who is the murderer?

[11:15]Cryoman: what murderer?

[11:15]Shinkenjoe: i thougt the story goes on

[11:16]Cryoman: nah, but if you want to see the chat, it was much more interesting after that: game 7753619

[11:20]Cryoman: we touched upon a subject of tetris effect in Go, did you guys experienced the world as a Go board as well?

[11:34]Shinkenjoe: i dreamed of go some years ago, when i took an overdose of tsumego

[11:37]Shinkenjoe: not sure if you refer to such things

[11:37]Cadspen: there was round magnets on a metal sheet hung up on the wall and i couldn’t help but see their relative positions as the relationship between two go stones

[11:41]Cryoman: when i was beginning with go, i percieved people in public transport as go stones surrounding me, and I tried to keep as much liberties as possible

[11:43]Cryoman: also after i finished live games, i was seeing them very vividly in my mind and trying to think of better continuations in my imagination

[11:44]S_Alexander: $*!%, you must’ve been playing tons of go

[11:47]Cryoman: not in reality, but I played a ton in imagination

[11:49]Cryoman: the public transport thing maybe sounds a bit hysterical. It was actually bit more chill than i might have made it to be

[13:09]sbischoff: As long as you don’t start surrounding people in public transport and killing them or go up to one-eyed strangers and tell them “you’re already dead”…

[13:13]sbischoff: Or sneak into construction sites and build random walls to tell the foreman “well, it was really bad shape and there was this cutting point…”

[13:21]herbdoulaye: Yo, sbischoff thanks man :joy::joy::joy::joy:

[16:00]prosody 最初頭に浮かぶ一手: Thinking in terms of Go patterns is expected

[16:01]prosody 最初頭に浮かぶ一手: People who play any strategy game tend to associate “cause”, “consequence”, “constraint”, “possibilities” with whatever equivalents are in their game

July 6, 2020

[ 5:28]lolx: 鄭承縣爸爸i know him

[ 5:28]lolx: i challenged him once

[ 9:12]Cryoman: @lolx: I didn’t mean to post that message. I missclicked with his name, cause my CTRL + F suddenly decided to stop working, so I pasted an older copied text

[ 9:12]Cryoman: *CTRL + C lol

[12:44]Igloo: I did it! “Estimate score” shows nothing!

[20:54]rileylark: I have only been playing go for about 4-5 months and it is definitely affecting the way I approach problem solving in general. I have found myself not only at the literal strategy level of counting liberties and trying to surround, but also at the meta level of how much I’m willing to count

[20:55]rileylark: I never got to this level of introspection after a decade of playing chess

[20:56]rileylark: Learning Go is coinciding with me learning some new management & leadership skills as well, so it’s not totally in a vacuum, but I find playing Go to be a much more intuitive and creative endeavor than I ever found chess

[20:58]rileylark: Also an interesting idea: getting to around 1900 ELO in chess, and then starting over from absolute scratch in a completely different game, gave me something of a mix of the “pretty-advanced” perspective with the “complete beginner” perspective. Really interesting!

[20:59]rileylark: All this to say: I have not been visualizing little black & white dots in my daily life, but grappling with what I know and what I don’t know has come into much clearer focus because of go and I regularly relate that tension to specific games I’ve played here on OGS

[21:09]FabianMinimal: WOW, that is beautiful!

[21:38]Cryoman: yeah, the introspection into strategic decisions in life is why i play Go

[21:57]SlowLarry: I’m bad at strategic life decisions also.

[22:03]rileylark: haha

[22:04]rileylark: I think vocabulary for describing situations is my own personal most powerful tool, and go has given me some new vocabulary for describing situations where I have SOME knowledge, but mostly have no idea WTF is gonna happen

[22:05]rileylark: “this is like that one game where if the corner works I’ll win and I’m like I dunno 20% sure the corner will work, but honestly I have no other options so let’s just play in the corner”

[22:10]Tsundere_Noises: someone sends you an email asking you to get back to them ASAP and you find yourself asking “is this really sente?”

[22:22]rileylark: wow exactly!!

[22:22]rileylark: I’d love to see a catalog of corporate activity <=> go strategy similes :slight_smile:

[22:42]Giogio4family5328: I am just a beginner but I am begging to see the world around me like go

[22:43]Giogio4family5328: After I read the art of war I was very confused

[22:44]Giogio4family5328: But the game teach me what that book was about

[22:45]Giogio4family5328: The book has the same principle of go “the objective of every war is peace” just like in go the war just ends when both players decide to

[22:46]Giogio4family5328: Go is a representation of life

[22:50]Giogio4family5328: And I have been playing go for a month ,chess is the opposite you have to kill your opponent,in go you have to make a treat of peace with your opponent it is not a question of life and death

[23:11]Cadspen: well, go can be a question of life and death

[23:13]Tsundere_Noises: sometimes you just want to negotiate a peace, but your neighbor has rabies

July 7, 2020

[ 1:04]rileylark: Haha

[ 1:54]Gildro: instead of malkovich I reveal my goal in the chat, Foxtrot Mike Lima :smiley:

[18:16]MoloWMS: Oh nice go-philosophy :upside_down_face: welcome at the playground. Some people say that don’t has the name playground they give the name “earth”. I think that are strangers :wink:

July 8, 2020

[ 0:57]Shinobi55: I’ve been playing since ‘70

[ 0:57]Shinobi55: Karate has sen-no-sente concept.

[ 0:58]Shinobi55: And as a courtroom lawyer, go is hugely helpful. I understand patience better. Patience is a weak concept, timing is strong

[ 1:50]Coyote_Trackz: I’ve only been playing for a couple of years and I’ve noticed that it’s helped to have a frame of reference for working with my adhd … especially with treating the impulsivity vs patience as a sort of ying and yang.

3 Likes

I think the first round will be 1 year 8 month duration

That’s a fair amount of people who probably didn’t understand what they were subscribing for.

Progress: 905 games decided out of 10038 (9.02%)
Number of players having finished all games: 24 (1.07%)
Groups with all games finished: 0 (0.00%)
Groups with no games finished: 55 (24.55%)

I’d like to see these on a timeline.

Max. games decided by a single player: 9
Max. fraction of games done by a single player: 100.00%
Min. games still open for a single player: 0

So someone resigned or timeout all of his games.
These won’t be very meaningful from now on: they will remain the same until the end of round.

Number of players having finished no games: 1290 (57.77%)
Max. games still open for a single player: 9

I didn’t expect that. About half the players already finished at least one game. I’m not in that group and I expected it to be smaller.
Could it be because of those above, who already ended all of their games? A single player that resigns or timeout nine games, makes nine players with a game ended.

Min. games decided by a single player: 0
Min. fraction of games done by a single player: 0.00%

Here I am. :slight_smile:
I suppose this won’t be very meaningful until the end of the round: we’ll monitor here progresses for the last players.

@richyfourtytwo: I like doing charts and I have some good tool for it, but I can’t retrieve data directly from OGS at the moment.
Are your data available in any way? Could you share them?
I would really enjoy having them in some sort of database (CSV, Excel, whatever) with timestamps.
I also would know more details about your queries.

5 Likes

My first game is over - I won by resignation. :slightly_smiling_face: My other games are still in the opening. I actually like to take some time to finish them, so hopefully the break between the first and the second round won’t be too long.

4 Likes

I was planning that, starting next weeks with 3 data points. (2 would look too boring for my taste.)

I just save the html file to my local drive and do some pretty dumb parsing in python. I also keep the data in an excel file, one line a week. Happy to share that with you, will PM you later. (Food is of greater importance to me right now.)

6 Likes

But 2 data points give you so much room to extrapolate in unjustified ways!

7 Likes

I made a “video Malkovich log” where I made a move in 7 of my games:

(jump to 04:07 to skip the introduction)

Hope it’s interesting to some of you :blush:

13 Likes

@le_4TC, awesome video … and I guess you’re aware that this is NOT a “Malkovich” really, because your opponents can see this video here also … ? You might be giving them too much of an advantage if you allow them to look that closely at your thinking process. :wink:

4 Likes

I don’t think my opponents could gain much of an advantage by listening to my confused thoughts, so if they want to watch the video I welcome the extra views ^^

If I made a similar video where some of the games are in the middle of complicated fights, I guess I could wait until some more moves have been played before publishing it, but right now that really doesn’t feel necessary :slightly_smiling_face:

8 Likes