Through the Years: Long Correspondence

Read the text, black paused the game

And since they play live games there, I feel made-up reasons for why they paused is just excuses.

Anyway, what interests me is the longing for beurocracy.

Next thing you know, you’ll be making UN Assembly. When someone’s in your club is doing something annoying and disruptive, like placing stones too loud, or using a strong laser pointer, you can just ask them to stop. That’s normal. What’s the point of making up rules.

2 Likes

Asking a fellow person to stop doing something annoying and the TD itching to throw people out of his tournament because he kinda doesn’t like slow games after all are two different things.

That I have to spell it out… :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

I don’t long for bureaucracy, but rather just fairness and consistency.

Why are we even singling out this game and its players as some sort of problem to be potentially addressed at this point?

I think it’s unfair to even suggest that they are being “annoying and disruptive”. It’s also quite difficult to say at this point that any particular game will wind up being the slowest to finish. And wasn’t a basic premise of this tournament that things could take a long time?

1 Like

You know what they say,

I feel the same way about pause. Because while vacation ends at some point, pause may never end. While tournament settings allow long thinking time, the premise still is that games are supposed to be played. Not just paused indefinitely. There’re other tournaments where games aren’t supposed to be played, and it’s all just about waiting, the ones with 300x4 weeks byo-yomi. When you paused this one game at 6 moves while quite regularly playing live, it suggests you don’t plan on playing this game, maybe you mistook this tournament where you’re supposed to play with others where you aren’t supposed to play.

1 Like

Are you going to out-of-context my entire topic? Just wondering.

As I said, a simple group announcement of “please don’t pause your games unnecessarily” or something similar is just basic maintenance. DM if preferred. Scrutinizing how and why individuals do their thing but opposing any simple step to bring the thing closer to the desired outcome serves exactly nothing.

State what’s acceptable and communicate it, no one said to make a tournament constitution.

And, in any case, I am against discussing people (not games), especially without their knowledge. No, people on the news is not the same as fellow OGS users probably oblivious to the fact they are being scrutinized in the forums.

2 Likes

Let’s discuss the games then. 1920 games left.

Do you know the longest (in moves) game ended? 369 moves!

I wonder if anyone can outdo this record.

In recent games I have mine my game finished. In the beginning it was ok. Then it got worse and worse, and then I died.

Vsotvep also has a not-so-great game to show. I feel the pain there.

That opening reminds me of ddk games, ufufu.

I know pros played it also, long time ago. But look, there’s one from 2008: Yanagisawa Satoshi (2p) vs. Tamai Shin (2p) | Waltheri's go pattern search

Hmmm. In this one game AI review isn’t full. Only a few moves are available. Is it stuck? Hmm. A few other games are like that also.

Aw man, look. B+1 but black made a mistake and resigned.

Looks like loki1725 gave up and resigned the corr games, even though there were only like 3 of them left.

2 Likes

I think there was a thread about it, anoek said he’s on it.

4 Likes

Data update:

Total number of participants:          2233
Total number of players in this round: 2233 (100.00%)
-----------------------------------------------------------
The following data is about the current round only.
Disqualified or dropped out:            479 (21.45%)
Still competing:                       1754 (78.55%)
Number of groups:                       224
Progress: 8145 games decided out of 10038 (81.14%)
Max. games decided by a single player:           9
Min. games decided by a single player:           0
Max. games still open for a single player:       9
Min. games still open for a single player:       0
Max. fraction of games done by a single player: 100.00%
Min. fraction of games done by a single player: 0.00%
Number of players having finished all games:    851 (38.11%)
Number of players having finished no games:     17 (0.76%)
Groups with all games finished:                 27 (12.05%)
Groups with no games finished:                   0 (0.00%)

disqualified

progress

4 Likes

Data update:

Disqualified or dropped out:            486 (21.76%)
Still competing:                       1747 (78.24%)
Progress: 8228 games decided out of 10038 (81.97%)
Number of players having finished all games:    881 (39.45%)
Number of players having finished no games:     15 (0.67%)
Groups with all games finished:                 28 (12.50%)

Also:

Post on the tournament thread since last week: 0

Fortunately I don’t have the slightest problem talking to myself. (As long as the form software lets me.)

disqualified

progress

7 Likes

No worry we like your stats. Keep the good work!

3 Likes

Okay I am very late to reply but the data isn’t a fair and random sample of the world population, but a fair and random sample of the OGS population!
Go isn’t as well-known everywhere, you need access to the Internet, and there is a strong bias in favour of English speakers :slight_smile:

Given that some of the statistics (like Min and Max games decided) are going to be unchanging for a long time, it might be useful to have something like a histogram of “unfinished games”. How many players have 9 ongoing games? How many 8? How many 7? Etc.

3 Likes

Aaaaah, here we are, mid-January 2021, and ready for more stats! I manually went through the entire tournament page, checking group after group, player after player, to bring you these interesting news!!

There may be a little bit of human error especially for the bigger numbers, but hey. Should be good enough for funsies.

Players:

• 879 players have finished all of their games.
    • of these, 147 lost all their 9 games, and one lost both their 2 games (from the unique 3-player group).
    • similarly, 27 won all their 9 games, and one won both their 2 games (from the unique 3-player group).
  • 448 players are disqualified.
  • 40 players resigned from the tournament.
  • 14 players have finished no games.

Groups:

• There are 223 groups of 10 and 1 group of 3, for a total of 224 groups.
  • Only 21 groups have no disqualification or resigning.
  • The record for most players to have resigned in a single group is only 2.
  • The record for most players to have been disqualified in a single group is 6.
  • 28 groups are 100% done with all games finished.
  • All groups have at least one game that’s done.
  • But there are still 15 groups where no player has gone through all their games.

Additional facts and superficial analysis:

• The records are shared:
    • Two groups have 2 players who resigned.
    • Three groups have 6 disqualified players, including the top group, which has only one kyu player.
  • That top group also has a resign, meaning only 3 players from the original 10 will go through to the next round. How the mighty have fallen.
  • Surprisingly, the highest concentration of groups where everyone seems to be set on going to the next round… is near the bottom with the weakest players.

All in all, we can all agree on one thing. IN EVERY TOURNAMENT, THERE’S SOMEONE LIKE THAT:

5 Likes

I guess this is a typo. Should be 6 disqualified rather than 3 (at least for the top group, I’m too lazy to search for the other groups to check!)

Thank you for the effort that went into working all this out!

2 Likes

Please check my charts.
There are many of these informations.
Maybe they aren’t very intuitive: if you have questions, please ask.

Data should be updated to few days ago.

Oh yeah, you’re right. Thank you, it’s fixed now :slight_smile:

Update on January the 19th. All charts are from my dashboard (link in my previous message Through the Years: Long Correspondence - #557 by Lys)

It has been viewed 76 times so far and I believe it’s mostly me checking it after udates. :smiley:
I made it because I wanted to show off, of course :smiley: , but also to share some data avoiding manual work to other players (if they are interested: I don’t wanna break anybody’s toy :wink: ).
If there’s something you’d like to add, feel free to comment here or to PM me. I enjoy analysing data, so it could be an interesting challenge for me.
The big thing that I miss is groups membership: I couldn’t gather that from the server. It could be done once manually and added to the databases though.

1725 games still undecided.
Black won slightly more than white so far (42% vs 40,9%). This difference is stable in the last two months, but it’s still provisional.

Curve of decided games is increasing slower and slower, as expected.

14 players didn’t complete a game.
909 completed all of their games.
548 have just one game in progress. I am one of them.

The above chart is the opposite: it displays finished games. You can get the unfinished number by difference, knowing that everybody (except 3 players) have 9 games.

Maybe I should put percentages in the disq/resign chart.
451 players disqualified and 42 resigned, so 22% of players won’t participate in next round, but this is even more provisional, of course, since these numbers are increasing every day.

149 players lost all of their games.
30 players won all of them.

166 players have the same amount of wins and losses. This number will eventually be zero, since every player has an odd number of games. So I expect this chart to be cut in half after the round is completed.

My score so far isn’t very good.
If you want to check yours (or someone else’s), just type few letters in the Search box. Detailed instructions are inside the light bulb :bulb:.

Charts are someway interactive (following the above link! In this message they are just pictures): you can hover or tap or click here and there in order to display further details or numbers or to open a game.

8 Likes

Data update:

Disqualified or dropped out:            495 (22.17%)
Still competing:                       1738 (77.83%)
Progress: 8327 games decided out of 10038 (82.95%)
Number of players having finished all games:    921 (41.24%)
Number of players having finished no games:     13 (0.58%)
Groups with all games finished:                 33 (14.73%)

disqualified

progress

3 Likes

That would be me I guess. :slight_smile:

I spend 5-10 minutes each week on this, mostly for making screenshots and posting here. I’m happy to continue with that, but it’s not like I’d actually enjoy such repetitive tasks. I’ve kept doing it because I think there is a difference between a very nice dashboard being ‘hidden’ behind a link a few dozen posts up in the thread and having a regular log here on the thread. Not sure if others agree. (Please reply if you have an opinion about this.) If you’d do posts here in a more automated way containing at least as much info as I provide, I’d be super happy and definitely would find something more rewarding to do in those 5-10 minutes. Tsumego maybe. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Sad but true.
Discord doesn’t even like that I post the same link twice.

I do update the dashboard every few days but I can’t embed it here in the forum (I think).

I must think about some other way…

1 Like