Through the Years: Long Correspondence

Just look for message 60 in this thread: he already knows

1 Like

I was referring to this, forgot to quote. lol

3 Likes

S_Alexander probably did not invite you. Any one in the tournament can send an invite. The tournament was also promoted on Facebook and probably a lot of people signed up without checking this forum thread.

2 Likes

Let’s be honest here, I probably did invite them.

11 Likes

I bet there will be a good number of disqualified players before a move is even played. People will get the notification that tourney had started, wait four weeks on principle because they signed up to use maximum possible time and find that they timed out because of the three day start timer…

4 Likes

:shushing_face: don’t spoil the fun

2 Likes

I actually also did a little bit of inviting.

2000 players, very nice. This is like collecting pokemons.

10 Likes

I am very bad in Pokémon go.I guess there will be about 2500 players in the tournament.

Now featured on page 1 of the tournament list. Yay!

7 Likes

Speaking of inspiration, 2014 tournament is another thing that probably nudged me towards creating a long tournament like this.

3 Likes

It just occurred to me that we will surely keep this thread for discussing the progress of the tournament throughout the years. So without much effort this will most likely become one of the longest (non-forum game) threads. No doubt those who will be still posting here when the tournament nears its end will be close friends (or maybe close enemies) by that time.

4 Likes

People will also still keep posting memes, so I doubt we will ever overtake that one, or a lot of the long running forum games.

I’ve heard that Discourse (the forum software) limits threads to 5000 posts, so eventually any long thread will wind up having to be split.

2 Likes

Maybe we can split the post each year. Or each round.

3 Likes

A span of only 66 years separated the first flight by the Wright flyer and the moon landing by Apollo 11.

We are now closer to the end of another 66 year span, which will likely also span an era:

5 Likes

I posted the first note in the tournament’s group:

Only a week left!

Hello, everyone! It’s the last week before the tournament’s start.

Two months have passed from the creation of the tournament. 2091 players already joined after more than 4200 invitations were sent. This doesn’t cover everyone but the page is now too laggy for me so I’ll stop here.

We got Sadaharu on board, I’m quite happy about that, if anyone can finish this, it’s them. A few moderators together with anoek got in as well, so the tournament is totally, completely OGS-approved. Looking through the player list I can see many names I recognize, and even more names I’ve never seen before. All in all, the time spent hyping up the tournament was fruitful although it was rather hard and annoying, I’m not gonna lie. But now the only thing left to do is relax and wait for late joiners.

I hope OGS will handle the load of starting this up just fine. And I’m looking forward to playing you!

I was really happy to get Sadaharu. Very valuable pokemon. Sadly a few other pokemons couldn’t join, I felt a bit “aww, man, I really hoped they joined”.

Since spicyspygo also joined maybe we’ll see some Sadaharu vs spicyspygo action.

10 Likes

So it’s now confirmed that this will take forever.

6 Likes

Should I invite some more people?

Yes. We need to hit 5000 people.

1 Like

I’ve joined against my better judgement. Having had reasonable experience with these sorts of tournaments from watching the early ones in great detail, I would be genuinely stunned if this takes less than 25 years to complete.

Hopefully I’ll still be alive and the internet won’t have broken or something by then! :smiley:
Good luck y’all!

6 Likes