Tilt Posting

I’m on a bit of a losing streak right now and I feel like my games in a bit of a slump, so if no one minds I’m just going to do a bit of tilt posting.

How the heck is everyone I play better at this damn game than me. I thought I was getting kind of semi ok at this damn game but now I guess I was just winning against people who had no idea what was going on. I set SDK as my goal a little while ago and now I really don’t think I’ll ever get better than this. I’m taking my stones and going home.

Tilt posting over. Thanks for your time.

7 Likes

I feel you <3

6 Likes

I had a look at your most recent game https://online-go.com/game/12300912 and you were both playing a lot of good moves. It may be that you have just had a run of strong opponents. DDK ranks are notoriously volatile so even with the best intentions in the world it can be hard to arrange an even match. That said; if you feel motivated to improve, one area to keep a close eye on is sente&gote ie the initiative. Moves 161-163 just before the end are a good example of an endgame gote sequence that gave the initiative to your opponent. Unfortunately it also fatally weakened your top group around J17. You can gain quite a few ranks just by growing your sense of the initiative and learning to ignore those tempting gote captures that aren’t actually worth much. Good luck and enjoy your games.

11 Likes

Thank you very much for the feedback. I was mostly just having a little rant after a string of frustrating losses, but I’ll try and implement what you’ve pointed out. That said, I’m sure I’m going to be feeling like a good tilt post at at least one more point in my go playing future.

1 Like

This thread has done everything for me that I needed it to. If anyone wants to hijack with their own tilt post, please feel free.

1 Like

I haven’t played go in awhile but im steaming mad at people that constantly overplay and play impossible invasions. That I have a lot of trouble with and end up falling for them during the game. When once i review it im like BAM that move SO EASY.

/End rant

2 Likes

Go is exactly like that. No matter how much you study, out of nowhere come players who never read a book or watched a lecture and outplay you like it’s nothing. They play absolutely idiotic moves but they just work out for them while your most clever ideas fail miserably.

3 Likes

It is actually quite interesting observation that most of self learned players are skewed towards an overplay style. I’m especially happy to let the overplayers prove their skill in proper fight, and what is usually more than sufficient is to stand your ground in active, assertive but generally solid way. Follow your intuition, engage, but be flexible. Keep your feet on the ground.

What I love about Go is that its a game of subtle balance. Aiming for too much and reaching too far is ultimately a bad strategy. The theory of Go is there for a reason. Certain players just help us verify how deep is our understanding of that knowledge.

7 Likes

We Chess players are like that as well I think. I see myself playing as if every engagement is an all-or-nothing affair. Even though I know the game is more about balance I still have trouble with my restraint. I can’t help it if I want ALL the territory. :laughing:

3 Likes

Sounds a lot like poker where in any given hand a loose aggressive player or a beginner can play in an unorthodox way and throw off a more skilled or ‘textbook’ player. The only real consolation is knowing that loose aggressive play won’t be profitable in the long run.

sleepy

2 Likes