Time wasters

What do you do with people like this https://online-go.com/game/9920166 that follow the rules but play nonsense, even though I see he has experience. He passed 7 times in the first movements. If I abandon it goes againt my scoring if I continue I just feel stupid following the game. I have called a moderator but does not know if this is the right thing.

Hopefully moderator will annul but looking at your opponents profile page, I notice he has never lost by resignation so maybe he is unaware of this option.

2 Likes

Perhaps if I just pass, the game finishes, I accept the removal of stones, he probably will do nothing and after 24 hours the game finishes completely. Is that the right thing to do? Will try.

1 Like

No harm in trying. If you pass and he plays a move I think you will still have the advantage. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thank you for your answer

My usual advice is resign report and move on. One 9x9 game is not scored that high to waste time on in my opinion.

Or if its correspondence then just wait for a moderator to step in.

4 Likes

You are right, that is what I should do next time. It is not worth to get angry about that.

2 Likes

I will recommend against reporting since your opponent is 25k so it’s likely that it’s some sort of misunderstanding. People that I’ve know irl have done that to me in their first couple games so later I I tried explaining the difference between pass and resign. A better way is to simply explaining chat /pm why he should not pass.

From his perspective, things could be the other way around. He probably falsely believed that everything is dead and there’s no way to make life anywhere,then from his point of view the whole board is yours so the game has ‘ended’ and you’re ‘wasting’ your own time and points by not passing and filling in your own territory. Communication solve problems…

2 Likes

Well normally I would agree, but if you check the game he passed with his first and then third move and did not respond to chat… That is too fishy for my suspension of disbelief :smiley:

2 Likes

Hmm I checked his game records, he usually play till his stone got all/mostly captured… we shows that he’s kinda clueless on the timing of passing, which is not something that they can learn naturally from their opponent if they are the one who always get rekt. I think there should be a tutorial on when to pass because I’ve seen a lot of beginners have that sorta trouble… or resign when they could’ve just passed…

Yea but I agree it’s a bit suspicious…maybe he accidentally passed the first time and decide it’s hopeless and wanna end the game by passing, since passing won’t do him any good anyway so it’s unlikely that it is of malicious intention. t tend to think the best of others, it makes you happier in general lol.

3 Likes

it was for certain that wht. did not know what to do,that might be the pain of playing with a person who has limited knowledge and no skill.He didn’t do it ,pass that is,intentionaly he wouldn’t know what he was doing by passing that early.He doesn’t have that sort of knowledge to use passing as a way to disturbe the game so as to cause trouble.I don’t think so anyway.And for blk the choice would be to give the player some room ,lead him around instead of just stomping him mercyless,make a game out of it and blk can learn something also.-Phcull

If you see the game I asked him why he passed. He ignored it completely. How do you suggest that I give him more room and teach him. Telepathy?

1 Like

Well, maybe just pass after your opponent passed : he passed at his first move, so you win the game by 80 to 0 (well, 75.5 to 0 because of komi).
And if your opponent resumes, then it doesn’t change much the game, both passes are virtually ignored

The game only lasted for 19 moves. You don’t need telepathy, you need to be patient.

I am sorry, but if the guy is clueless enough to press random buttons and does not answer to chat, then I wouldn’t bother with him either :smiley:

1 Like

You don’t have to “bother with him” whatever that means, but it doesn’t give you the right to insist he must be acting in bad faith.

1 Like

I do not insist on any such a thing. I am merely expressing my symphaty to what the OP did. I would have acted the same and see no reason to be ashamed of it.

1 Like

You did not. OP did. If you choose to defend OP, you cannot ignore what he said.

Ok, just read through the thread again and I agree with pretty much everything OP said. But enough of this, you think he was earnest in his cluelessness and would try to help him further, I am not that sure and at any rate think there is not much more that can be done if he does not answer in chat. Let’s leave it at that and argue about something more worthwile sometimes else :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I would not try to help him further, but I wouldn’t publicly shame him and assume I knew his motives after only 19 moves. It is quite obvious that OP is wrong if you look at the game review.

1 Like