Tournament Timeframe

Lets estimate what time per move we need to reach that goal for the Main title tournaments (19x19):
Let the tournament start at January the 1st. Than we have 360 days for the whole tournament.
The tournament lasts for 3 rounds, therefore each game has to end within 120 days.
Each player has to play at least 1 move per day! (For a 240 move game)
Or from a game perspective an average of a move per 12 hours per game.

At the moment the time increment of this tournament is 1 day (the above calculated max value).
If you lower the increment to less than 1 day, than you exclude all players which are only willing/able to login on OGS once per day. (If the opponent played just after they logged out, they need a 1-day increment to not time out.)

Faster time settings will exclude these players from the title tournaments. And since I think to play once per day is legit for a correspondence player, the time settings should allow them to take part in the official tournaments.

My opinion for the different time controls in correspondence games is as follows:

• Simple: 1 day / move leaves no room for short delays. A player only playing once per day has to login every day at the same time to avoid timeout. [And simple is buggy.]
  • Absolute: If a player stops playing on OGS, you can watch a clock slowly ticking down for a month or 2 before the player times out. And you don’t know if the player comes back in time, leafing you with a game which can continue at any time withing that time frame.
  • Byo-Yomi: Same as simple or absolute, depending on main time.
  • Fisher: It gives you some freedom at what time of day to play and also to don’t play for some days at all. But at least fisher enforce an average game progression equal to the increment time.
  • Canadian: Either like absolute or fisher depending on main time.

Therefor I prefer Fisher time control for correspondence games.

That topic could be related to this one

2 Likes