Trying to understand what happened here

This was just a friendly game. Black wins, even though white is the obvious winner.

What happened ? Can anyone help?

2 Likes

Hm, SE is correct.

My guess is by mistake W’s area was “unclicked” during scoring phase and both opponents accepted without noticing.

Do you recall changing the estimation before accepting the score?

1 Like

you have to choose who has which territory before accept

1 Like

Also, maybe K6 was needed for the border?

10 Likes

Thanks! Maybe I clicked by accident. I will look out for that in the future. Thanks for your help !

3 Likes

In case of wrong scoring, players can report it to a mod and get the result cancelled (but not reversed)

1 Like

You are definitely correct, but it does not entirely explain this case. When the border is not closed, the autoscore leaves the open territory unmarked—not marked as dame. This means that either White or Black clicked in the territory, changing it from unmarked to dame (the result is the same, so doing so did not change the outcome). White should have closed the border to win the game.

3 Likes

Absolutly. K6 missing made the scoring completly wrong.

2 Likes

The scoring is not wrong, and the game was unranked, so it couldn’t be annulled in any case.

3 Likes

No worries. It was just a friendly game, so I don’t mind. I just wanted to understand what happened (so I don’t repeat the error in the future :smiley:

Leaving the border open does explain a lot though. And I may have misclicked in the territory during scoring to try and work out what was happening with the score.

5 Likes

Blue are dame (neutral point), no? I think players expected it to be white territory.

1 Like

It seems from looking at the logs that you clicked in that area several times trying to mark it as yours but couldn’t due to missing k6. An easy mistake to make. Go can at times be unforgiving like that… Keep asking questions :heart:

5 Likes

Ahhh perfect answer !!! I knew I clicked several times as I couldn’t understand what was happening… I now know how to avoid that in the future. Thanks for checking that out for me and for everyone for helping out here. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: :grin:

3 Likes

Under the old autoscore system, a click by White would make it White. But I am not sure whether the new system (instituted around the time I stopped moderating) works the same. Since it is now enforcing the open borders rule, it may not allow White to claim the territory; therefore when White or Black clicks, it would only allow dame (my speculation, based on how it should work).

2 Likes

Closing completly the boundaries is one of the very first competence of a go player, i am sure you will acquire that quickly.
Happy gaming!

5 Likes

You have to fill in K6 and complete the frontier. Otherwise the computer doesn’t count it as surrounded territory.

1 Like