Tsumego Jeopardy

In this game you have to create a problem with a specific solution.

Example

Solution:

Problem

Of course, there can be many different problems corresponding to the same solution shape. You can add as many stones as you like outside the shown area - the only requirement is that the given solution should be the unique correct first move.

Can you find corresponding problems to the solutions below? They are quite hard, but I promise all of them are solvable! (Uhm… problemable? questionable?)

Solution 1

Solution 2

Solution 3

5 Likes

I think this ones in a bunch of tsumego sets. (I wonder is it from a famous book in particular)

From a puzzle like

The idea being to capture all the stones instead of some of them I think.

2 Likes
Problem 1

4 Likes

I was sure I’d seen this one too recently

The idea is to make a ko I believe

Originally the puzzle looked like this

My answers probably aren’t in the spirit of the OP but maybe they’re interesting for somebody. Maybe my pattern recognition is better than my creativity.

2 Likes

Thx. I saw patern 2 but it’s really hard to complete on the left with some exchange of stones (black capturing the w 5 stones) and avoiding then w to live on the left

P1 and P2

4 Likes

A related question is what legal local positions cannot be made into a puzzle. Here’s an example.

But how about size like 3x3? My conjecture is any legal 3x3 position can be embedded in a puzzle.

1 Like

What does that mean? As in it can’t be important to the puzzle or? It can be added without any effect to the solution?

Not quite what I was going for since A7 and C9 are not empty in your diagram, but this is definitely the most creative submission so far :smiley:

1 Like

Yep, your version works too!

The one I had in mind was similar to what @shinuito posted, but the point of the game is not to guess what I was thinking :grin: I like that there can be lots of possibilites, and we’ll end up with some very different problems with the same solution shape.

1 Like

Yep i missed that.Grumble grumble

This is indeed what inspired this “game” for me. I wanted to start with some which I knew were possible - they were taken directly from some specific problems as people quickly noticed :smiley:

But it’s more interesting to consider positions where none of us know if a problem exists. Here is one which I suspect could be impossible:

A small wrinkle here is that that one is obviously pretty easy if you imagine that some white stones were just captured. So it makes more sense to make the diagram for the position just before the black move, and ask if black ever needs to play at the circle here:

That means give a local position, if we take a local part from any puzzle that includes the first move of the solution, they don’t match. Not sure if that makes sense :sweat_smile:

this position is interesting. It’s hard to think about a position where first line is strictly better than second line. But I still think it’s possible. For example, maybe first line connection can create more ko threats so that black can win the endgame.

2 Likes

Second line connecting also kills

Actually first line connect leads to seki

1 Like