Tsumego Sessions

Tsumego problems are an important part of Go Game. Practising Tsumegos is good for the reading skill, for your understanding of fights and of course, life and death of your groups.

I propose then to work on tsumegos here, on OGS, together in sessions (weekly would be awesome). Contrary to the category i chose, i feel it more like a group working on tsumego then a teacher and his fellow students. It would be like a studying group focused on tsumego practising.

I spoke with some players yesterday after i made a improvised session with few tsumegos found on internet. Some good ideas came out of this.

I would prepare the sessions with some tsumegos selected in different levels. Of course, due to my level (8kyu OGS), i dont feel confident to open the sessions to hight kyu and dan players but in the future, if a dan player wants to join the sessions and prepare tsumegos, why not !

Another idea is to organise times to times a Tsumego contest between the participants of the sessions.

Well, i’ll stop here because it’s still a brand new idea and i’ll wait for some new contributions and discussions. Feel free to join and share !

(Dont hesitate to clear something whose not, english is obviously not my native language)

12 Likes

@Marnoris has a good idea here. Life and death within a group is an essential thing to know in Go and something like this, where the practice of tsumego is put out is a good whether you’re just beginning to learn or just want some practice.

1 Like

I would really like this. The problem that I have with tsumegos is that once the right answer is shown to me, I can see why it is the best, but that doesn’t always help me to know how to approach future problems. I think I really need practice with identifying key points and knowing why they are the key points.

In short, count me in!

1 Like

@nispio: I heared a lot of times that the idea with tsumegos is not looking at the solution, but to investigate all the possible variations yourself. That pretty much agrees with your feeling. :smiley:

For french players, i recommend

Motoki NOGUCHI, “Tsumego. L’art du combat au jeu de go”, 2e éd., Praxeo, 2010, 544 p.

1 Like

@Marnoris Thank you for your great suggestion, and looking forward to those sessions! :smile:

I consider goproblems.com to be quite a good resource at practicing tsumego - that’s how I learned life&death.

1 Like

@royjac True, goproblem.com is a fantastic source! Although a few of them are technically unsolvable :smile:

Indeed, but the main difference here would be to work in groups. To discuss and think together !

1 Like

321go.org is a great Tsumego site … I’m almost through meanwhile: “to do: 409 of 3706”

3 Likes

I must check this up ! Thx guy !

For 5 kyu and stronger:

http://weiqi.sports.tom.com/hubo/sihuoying-all.htm

初段 : 1 dan
三段 : 3 dan
五段 : 5 dan

2 Likes