Two "bugs"

In German it is also used (and that s how I meant it) when we use a word in a -how2say- questionable way…

1 Like

Thanks for teaching me this, I didn’t know that before!

2 Likes

Nah, should’ve been this:

When editing, it shows correctly in the text box but not in the preview pane :roll_eyes: should better call it “preview PAIN” :laughing:

But thanks for trying!

1 Like

Uhm, not sure I understand correctly … and BTW, what I learned (in ENglish newsgroups/mailing lists) to be “curly” quotes are called “curved” quotes here:

Is there an ISO/ANSI standard?
Uhm … I’m a afraid I know nothing of this, but you might find something here perhaps:

I was referring to this:

Is this proper typographer’s extended 8-bit ascii standardized?

“Standardized” as in “correct” vs. “incorrect”?

For professional typography and typesetting (books, magazines, newspapers, etc.) it definitely is.

See

Quote from there:

‘…’ and “…” are known as typographic, curly, curved, book, or smart quotation marks.

See also the Summary Table for several other languages:

Screenshot shows just a few.

My last job was typesetting huge industry machine manuals (huge, in this case, refers to both: the machines and the manuals :sweat_smile:) in 21 European languages plus Brazilian Portuguese, and of course I also had to make sure that all those quotation marks and placements were correct … wasn’t funny, TBH :exploding_head:

Sapperlot, how many Deutschsprachige exactly haben wir in this thread?

I’ll begin counting:
eins

As for your comment, @Averyw123 … I don’t know what to make from it, as it just is a broken quote of one of my comments.

1 Like

I think @Averyw123 is trying to get some forum badges, they invited me to a private chat with @discobot earlier :joy:

So ASCII (and Unicode for that matter) are just mappings from numbers to symbols. So when you talk about 7-bit ASCII, you’re talking about a standardized character set that has 128 symbols and where quotes map to the numbers 34 and 39. A 8-bit ASCII would presumably have 256 characters, but since you don’t seem to be talking about a standard mapping, but the symbols themselves never mind!

1 Like

Oh, thanks, I flagged it for the colleagues to review. Maybe we will (or should) restrict their posting.

Uhm… yes. E.g. from keyboard to screen (if I understand this tech stuff correctly).

So when you talk about 7-bit ASCII, you’re talking about a standardized character set that has 128 symbols and where quotes map to the numbers 34 and 39.

I didn’t check “34” and 39” now, but yes, the original 7-bit ASCII had 128 characters that (AFAIK) covered US English characters and some special symbols.

This shows the 7-bit ASCII character set:

8-bit ASCII would presumably have 256 characters

Yes, that’s what I encountered back then as being called the “extended ASCII code”, which now included äöüßÄÖÜ, curly quotes and apostrophe, accents, guillemets («»), etc.

In chapter 6, “Variants and derivations”, there is more info about 7-bit codes, the extension to 8-bit codes, and Unicode, including stuff about ISO standards (of which I understand very little):

1 Like

ich bin ein Ösi :slight_smile:

1 Like

»Servus« dann :slight_smile:

<flöt>

Hab’s oben geändert in »Deutschsprachige« :smiley: Sry für unbewussten Germanenchauvinismus :laughing: