Two "bugs"

1. new feature saving game references: the komi is saved wrong, it doesnt take the correct “automatic setting”, at least it is listed in the saved options. example: you play a 9x9 game, set komi to automatic, so the game gets a komi from 5.5; after the game you search for a new game, but change the board size to 19x19, save references, the references showkomi 5.5

2. it is notpossibleto analyze with ai in zen mode…, ( on small tablets that would help )

thank you

3 Likes

Thank you for raising these issues.

I can confirm the first bug.

I think the second issue is a design choice, since the aim of zen mode is to reduce clutter in the interface. It seems that the fundamental issue that you have is difficulty with using AI analysis on a small tablet when not in zen mode. Perhaps, the layout and design of AI review outside of zen mode could be looked at?

4 Likes

that s why I wrote “bugs” with -what is the english word - ascii 34

i dont analyze in zen mode but it enlarges the board and it would be helpful on smaller devices.- that s all

for the first issue, it “shows” wrong komi in the saved settings but uses the “automatic” setting it has been saved with (so on a 19x19 game the correct komi would be setup according to the used game rules). the filling of the label which shows the game settings is wrong for any reason

I recommend reporting this one on GitHub.

“double quote”, I think - technically, though also "apostrophes, but “quotes” is what we’d tend to say in this context :slight_smile:

I am astonished by this quite sensitive answer. Put AI in zen mode is certainly a great idea, certainly a “bug” not be implemented already.

Almost Totally OT

Sorry for being the non-native speaker pedant, but wouldn’t it actually be “quotation marks”?
Because … “quote” most often means “quotation”?

For @Anthe (as I assume your language is German): »An-/Abführungszeichen«

1 Like

Both are correct. You are right that “quotation marks” is unambiguous, but just “quotes” works too, esp. in the context of “double quotes” and “single quotes”.

From dictionary.com defn of “quotes”:

Side note: I don’t think I’d call them “apostrophes” though. I think apostrophe is what’s used in conjunctions, e.g. ain’t, they’re, she’d’ve :grinning:

2 Likes
Continuing OT...

You would definitely sound non-native then…
… because “quotation marks” is formally correct but too many syllables :smiley:

Actually, apostrophe is the name for ascii 39, which is a single quotation mark used both in singly quoted words or phrases, and conjunctions. ‘He correctly used an apostrophe in a conjunction’, said Gaj. :wink:

4 Likes

Haha I was just talking about ASCII 34 (that was the question right?) But to be completely pedantic, “apostrophes” still aren’t the same thing as “single quotes”, right? Like the following has exactly one apostrophe and two single quotes:

“As I always say, ‘Use single quotes to put a quotation inside a quotation, but you’d better use an apostrophe for conjunctions!’”

2 Likes

I dunno, I always thought they were precisely the same, at least under ASCII.

Are there separate unicode characters for them?

No just semantically. Like if you were talking to an English teacher, not a programmer haha

1 Like

There are further differences

For apostrophes, there are at least two different styles:

For single quotation marks, there are two different styles, where one style is symmetric and often identical to the typewriter apostrophe. In the other asymmetric style, there is a distinction between left and right quotation marks, where the right quotation mark is often identical to the typesetter’s apostrophe:

For other similar Unicode characters, see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apostrophe#Characters_similar_to_apostrophe

2 Likes

Ah, so the answer to the question:

is “sort of - U+2019 is used for both right single quotation and apostrophe, but U+2018 is unique to left single quotation and never used for apostrophe. And of course U+0027 is used for anything especially when you left your utf-8 at home.”

2 Likes

This is FUN :smiley:

To be precise: 7-bit ASCII
which I remember well because it forced me to write ae/oe/ue/ss for ä/ö/ü/ß), but not in the extended 8-bit ASCII that proper typographers, type setters, etc. use (resp. used) :smiley:

“Curly” (or “typographic”) quotes:
double: „ “ ”
single: ‚ ‘ ’
and “curly” (“typographic”) apostrophe:

Not to confuse with accents: ´ ^ `
These also are 8-bit ASCII (acute and grave are also called “ticks” or “tick marks”, IIRC).

BUT … ' is also the sign for foot (DAMMIT, Discourse makes it curly! Pls imagine it as straight :sweat_smile:)
And " is for inch.

Reminds me of how, when I first joined mailing lists and newsgroups in ~1990 I was heavily flamed once or twice b/c I used curly quotes and apostrophes, which totally garbled up the digest versions of these :sweat_smile: I quickly learned to use only 7-bit ASCII—and overlearned, because now I used them well into 2004, even in modern forums that all were capable of 8-bit :laughing:

Ah, finally something that relates to my former profession :smiley: I also used to teach this stuff to future media (mostly print/prepress) professionals, and they were all very happy to learn that these are very easy to type on a Mac (as opposed to terrible on Windows), I converted almost hundred people to the light in those days :joy:

Uhm, sry for all that blurb :roll_eyes:

3 Likes

Try `’`

<— this right?

Also, what is this typographer’s ASCII? Is there an ISO/ANSI standard?

1 Like
1 Like

TIL OP’s “bugs” are using Scare quotes :ghost:

3 Likes

I didn’t know this had a name :heart: I thought it was just a bad habit of mine :rofl:

1 Like