Unable to select custom Komi

Trying to challenge someone much stronger than me and edit Komi and the option cannot be selected.

Are trying to have a custom komi on a ranked game? It’s only allowed for unranked games, so make sure the ‘Ranked’ box is unchecked

Refresh the page and try again?

3 Likes

Yes, it was for a ranked game.
Thanks

2 Likes

So … Auto Komi and “Ranked” game does not give appropriate reverse Komi when the number of Handicap stones is not fine-grained enough for, e.g., smaller boards like 9x9 or 13x13?

OGS does some reverse komi in combination with stones. What makes you say it’s not correct?

1 Like

We’ve played a few games and we are trying to dial in on the right Komi and HC that levels the playing field and keeps it exciting. We also want to have no HC and negative Komi, which I was hoping to set manually. As we play ranked games it’s not possible.

1 Like

My question is mainly to @trohde’s comment that OGS handicap is not granular enough on small boards. I thought it was.

If not, maybe we can report it on GitHub where it will get some proper attention.

I think these are both good things to do, and unfortunate that it isn’t possible as “ranked”.

1 Like

Oh, it does? :open_mouth: I must have missed that.

See @Maikol_2’s reply … he and I are playing 9x9 currently, ranked games, and 2 stones is too few, while three is too many.

But I thought we should try with two stones plus reverse Komi, contrary to what @Maikol_2 wrote, so I was misunderstanding him there. And he created the last few game invitations, and apparently something didn’t work there with ranked + reverse Komi? Or was I misunderstanding again? :grimacing:

1 Like

Yep! Here’s the auto-handicap tables: Automatic handicap calculations · online-go/online-go.com Wiki · GitHub

I think it’s specifically “ranked + custom komi” that is an issue (which @_KoBa noted above).

Theoretically, I believe OGS’s rating system could handle custom handicap/komi within a certain range, and that would be a nice improvement.

2 Likes

@trohde
Given our rank difference of approximately 17 I was hoping to try 2HC -4.5 Komi (based on our last result). But I also thought 1HC and -10.5 could make for an interesting game.
I guess the simplest solution is as we have it. 2HC 0.5Komi and for me to just get better, which is really kind of the point. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

If you chose handicap you can get a ranked game with automatic komi. But you can’t chose whatever komi you would like.

1 Like

Given the significant rank difference, I wouldnt even bother with ranked games. There’s some related discussion in this thread but TL;DR the rating system performs worst on high handicap games.

1 Like