Undo in tournament games

Please consider eliminating the option to ‘undo’ in tournament games. In real life tournaments, there is no such thing as undo. I don’t see why undo should be an option in tournament games, given that it can be easily be abused by people.

1 Like

Abused how? Every player is perfectly within their rights to refuse an undo request.

7 Likes

There is no such thing as misclick either…

4 Likes

Not actually true, i’ve dropped a stone on board on accident numerous times while trying to play it, and always has my opponent agreed to “undo” and allowed me to play it properly. (yea i know i’m a clumsy kyu…)

The thing with undos is that both players need to agree on it, opponent has always the option to deny it, so abuse shouldn’t be easy :wink:

3 Likes

The player who tries the request often get angry and feel cheated, when it is his own fault that he misplaces a stone. And other times, it might be a trick to take back bad moves in the guise of misclicks.

The rl tournaments I have been to do not allow any undo, period, tournaments for amateur players, ran by Chinese go pros who make final decision on matter like that.

Once a move is made, it is final, as far as serious tournaments is concerned.

If I recall correctly tournaments in KGS do not allow for undos as well.

1 Like

It is much easier to misclick than it is to put a stone on the wrong intersection. Also, people who are inclined to get angry will find a reason regardless of whether they are allowed to request undos.

3 Likes

BHydden has it exactly right and the reality is that most OGS tournaments are just a convenient way to set up regular games ‘en-masse’. Real-life tournaments are usually more concerned with a final outcome.
I almost never request undo even for misclick but I am glad to have the option of granting it to my opponent. Especially when the move is obviously spurious.

3 Likes

I agree with @Kasparov. If a cheat (someone who did not misclick) gets an undo and consequently wins in an individual game, it affects only the cheat’s opponent. In a tournament, however, such a case potentially affects others in the tournament.

1 Like

I hear what you’re saying Conrad, but in my eyes such a course of action affects only the cheater. Ultimately, he is only cheating himself.

3 Likes

I agree on that point, very much, which is why I will grant an undo in an individual game if it is requested. I think most serious game players in any game see the main goal as personal improvement—at my age, I can’t hope for anything else.

3 Likes

I feel like your point starts to have real validity when things like serious titles or prize money are on the table. But to me, this forum discussing specifically OGS tournaments… to me they don’t carry the same gravity and I find it difficult to question the severity of “false undo requests”

2 Likes

Yes, I can see that, and even accept it I think, since as you say, the level of seriousness is less. It’s just that I’ve been a stickler for game honesty my whole life.

3 Likes

I hear ya man, I really do… I guess I lean more towards the side of “game honesty” where I think if I’ve been playing a really close fight, back and forth, tooth and nail with someone… I don’t want to win such a game simply because they miss-clicked and had no way of asking for a correction… that to me would feel like more of a waste than any amount of cheating could ever be…

2 Likes