Unusual openings

Any love for the 5-5 point opening?
I love the look of it on the board, just dont want to seem like I’m trolling someone when I play it. Anybody know if the pros have had much luck with go no go?

1 Like

This thread has 5-5 joseki.

Also, try just searching it on Waltheri.

2 Likes

Thanks for the links! Why havent I used Waltheri before???

2 Likes

I was just messing about on Waltheri and found this unusual opening:

The first stone is at 4-6, which occurs in only 0.1% of games on Waltheri (so unusual already). But the response at 6-4 (same corner) also struck me as unusual in the sense that it does not appear to attempt to revert to a more common opening as some of the other responses do. Indeed, this move 2 is the only example on Waltheri out of 65 games with the 4-6 opening.

But then it keeps getting stranger! Huge open corner enclosures, strange side enclosures, one ponnuki each, etc. I judge that the opening of this game goes up to about move 42, which is when it looks like the fighting starts, at which point the position looks like this:

Unusual indeed I think you’ll agree. I mean, look at the top left corner - so open! But how they got there is almost even more unusual. You’ll have to replay it on Waltheri using the link above to see for yourself. Enjoy!

3 Likes

Playing Styles

[edit]

The Bizarre Style

We’ve all played against people using this style before. They open on the 5-5 point and 3-6 point. Every move they make seems to defy convention. Yet for some reason finding a suitable play against it is always impossible. You end up losing by 20 points and are at a loss to see how you got so far behind. Not to be confused with the “Beginner Style” where bizarre moves are played, yet in the end, they are left with a couple small barely living groups.

1 Like