Upcoming price increase for new plans (*not* existing plans)

Do those buttons show up for you? There might be some oddness with the old one time payments if not. Let me know if you don’t see those, I think I can tweak some stuff if need be.

I see a lot of extreme claims on that link, but no actual arguments to back up the claims. Could you provide either a coherent argument, or a link to an article which makes a coherent argument?

I think that crypto is a wonderful decentralisation of currency in principle. Luke Smith has pointed out some issues with BTC specifically, most notably the high transaction costs involved in converting from and to it, and the ability exchanges have to perform fractional reserve banking, but that first is an argument against BTC, not crypto in general, and the second is not impossible to fight against nor for a crypto to survive its inevitable crash.

All fiat (and I would consider crypto fiat; I’m not sure how one would argue it’s not) throughout history has eventually collapsed, but a correctly implemented crypto is impossible to inflate, so I am curious whether or not certain crypto will prove able to outlast other fiat currencies the same way gold and silver have. Obviously if society can no longer support the technology it relies on, it will fail, but I’m curious whether it can survive a widespread flight from fiat around the globe.

Crypto is not perfect, but neither is gold and silver, and they are the most reliable stores of value throughout history. Anything which has a chance, however small, of lessening society’s reliance on government and large corporations, is well worth pursuing despite any imperfections.

3 Likes

Hey there. I see the new tiers but not my existing/old tier.

If it’s of use, my old tier says it was paid via Stripe.

2 Likes

Oh I see, right that’s because it was a one time payment you had setup, not a recurring plan, so there’s nothing show in the recurring plans section - though I think I need to wire up an additional interface to show when your current supporter benefits are active through.

2 Likes

Thanks for the help! I was able to pay now :smiley:

2 Likes

Yep, VAT and transfer fees are a pain.

To be concise, I will point two issues. Did you looked into being excepted from VAT? I see now that my country excepts from VAT for under 45 euros, for non commercial payments. Before was for anything under 10 euros. Sure, I see that you pose as a business, but you are more like a cultural thing, and we are sponsors, donors.

And second, did you considered Wise? former Transferwise? It is a new payment operator which I use recently, since my former ones (Monebooker stole my money) and Paypal got acquired by mainstream, and abused us with trans-border fees. Transferwise uses minimal fees, and correct exchange rates.

The rest of comment is just about my experience with VAT being imposed on me illegally by Patreon. So you can skip it, is not important.

I used to support Shawn with one dollar monthly, and after some time without informing me, Patreon started to charge me VAT. Not big deal, 19 cent can go unnoticed monthly as it even has for few months. But the issue is that the charge was illegal in two accounts. One because imports under 10 euros were excerpted from VAT, and second that this was donation, not commercial transaction. Not sure how donations are taxed, though. Still the VAT thing was illegal. I noticed Patreon about the issue, and I got a standard answer, which it was not even on the subject I raised. After second message, and second automatic reply all I could do is cancel my Patreon account.

And as Shawn, you are an educational entity, you should receive help, not taxes.

1 Like

Could OGS qualify as a non-profit, at least in some countries? Or would that be more trouble than it’s worth.

1 Like

As it was explained to me, as I recall, was that services do not have the same exemptions as physical goods. Basically because we are providing a service and not shipping you anything, we have to pay taxes on every transaction. Also note that laws for external companies are different than EU companies, EU companies have a lot of exceptions that we don’t get. I presume that’s probably why Patreon felt the need to tax your contribution to Sean too, but don’t quote me on that, I’m far from an expert, I just try to do what the experts tell me :slight_smile:

I skimmed what they offer, but it looked to me like they’re a combo bank / payment processor, which isn’t a great fit as we can’t move existing recurring transactions over to another payment processor. Also, about half of our supporters use PayPal, so excluding them isn’t an option.

Definitely more trouble than it’s worth, each country has their own laws for what qualifies as a non profit and what you have to do to maintain your status.

4 Likes

Hello! I was subscribed in August 2021 and was paying 4 CAD/month. Now the cheapest option available is Hane Supporter at 6 CAD/month. Has there been a price increase since last August? Also, some people seem to mention the “Kyu Plan”, which I can’t see in the offered options:

• Hane Supporter
  • Tenuki Supporter
  • Meijin Supporter

What is the price of the Kyu plan? Is it normal that I can’t see the Kyu plan?

Thanks for everything :slight_smile:

1 Like

Don’t you see a message on the bottom saying that the kyu plan doesn’t exist anymore ( I have the same ) but you keep using it ?

2 Likes

Thanks for the reply, here is what I see:

1 Like

I guess the conclusion is that the kyu plan does not exist anymore. You need to chose one of the new ones.

1 Like

Oh I see it sounded like your old sub was ongoing but I see now it is not. Indeed we used to support custom amounts but now just have the tier structure you see. If you can afford to pay a bulk payment annually, the cheapest donation available for you is 60 CAD /year otherwise as you noted 6 CAD /month is the cheapest monthly option now available.

2 Likes

Ok, got it. Thanks for the clear answers, everyone :slight_smile:

3 Likes

For some reason the payment options aren’t showing up in the support page. Only the plans are show, but no way to pay.

3 Likes

It looks like you’ve already resolved the issue yourself, but I’ll reply just in case it’s of any use to others - if you’re already on a plan, you won’t see the payment buttons, you’ll have to cancel your existing plan and then those payment buttons will pop back up so you can sign up again under whatever your preferred plan is.

Thanks for the support @WanderingMystic!

3 Likes

If you have not already, I recommend you do before the rate goes up… If you can afford the cost increase I guess it doesn’t matter, and maybe OGS could use the extra $upport… and even at the higher price it would be worth it… buuuuut, if you sign up now (if you have not done so already) you could get the better AI review sooner than later!

2 Likes

Hi, I just noticed that Alipay was removed. Would it be supported again before end of this month?

If you start by clicking the purple button, is Alipay an option?

Sorry for the confusion. I was referring to that it’s not displayed inside the yellow box.

图片