Upscaling the OGS Goban (on OBS Studio)

Lately, I’ve been thinking that OGS’ goban looks pixelated on my video recordings, such as this one. I think Baduk Club has been suffering from the same problem, because their goban here looks pixelated too, for example.

I wonder how I would solve this, and the best I could come up with would be to upscale the resolution on my browser. But doing so on the browser through the mobile developer tools seems to make the grid lines and the stones look super weird and inconsistent.

The other solution I was able to come up with was using a Browser Source on OBS. That way I think it’s basically an <iframe>, such that we can control its width and height. This one looks pretty decent, at least only if I upscale the image up to 1.25-1.5, otherwise I get the same weird problems with the other method.

However, one annoying aspect of this method is that, since OBS doesn’t seem to use the URL for keeping the theming state, I won’t be able to theme it beyond the defaults. Is there a way of theming the goban through the URL perhaps?

Has anyone encountered this problem? Any solutions I haven’t been able to come up with?

1 Like

Have you tried the SVG board renderer yet?

On the page: Play Go at online-go.com! | OGS

Set the “Enable SVG goban renderer” toggle (third from the bottom)

6 Likes

I don’t think it made a difference, because I don’t think it’s a renderer problem.

Also, the stones look a bit different, the border/shadow is a bit thicker:

Maybe it’s just me, but it seems like the board lines are a lot more consistent in your second screenshot

2 Likes

I also see the board lines much more consistent, and the stone’s border is thicker and more consistent.

2 Likes

@benjito @A_Normal_Name Yes, but that second image is not upscaled.

Apparently, I overlooked that you can interact through OBS’ Browser Source like any web page, so it is possible to sign in and theme it, and even play games there. But it feels a little bit clunky still though.