User Profile Redesign

From memory, @flovo said (with game history, at least) this should be possible.
If @RubyMineshaft feels up to it, this would indeed be a tremendous feature to add :heart:

2 Likes

I hope you mean filterable. I cannot come up with a use case for sorting any but the date column, and date is already sorted.

1 Like

Yeah I figured he meant filterable too.

1 Like

Mobile devices will prove to be a bit more of a challenge. Will probably need to use media queries and just do something different on mobile. I’m not crazy about the idea, but the tabs could be collapsed into a hamburger or dropdown menu. However, that still would not solve the scroll issue.

This will come to an end naturally.
I used to challenge players about my strength but there are no more. :smiley:
(not available at least :wink:)

1 Like

I think the changes look good. Thank you for taking on this project.

I just have one suggestion: consider a responsive layout that maybe drops tabs altogether on very wide/large screens (e.g., 4K, ultrawide) since it may be possible to place more things side-by-side to use the horizontal space.

1 Like

Yes I mean filterable :blush:

1 Like

The whole site is already responsive, with media queries controlling the layout - I guess you will find that before too long :slight_smile:

So the challenge isn’t the initial “how to make it responsive” but rather “how to make this specific page work for all the form factors anyone can think of”.

I am reasonably sure that no change will get approved until the responsive layout works, because OGS is used a lot by people on phones.

I can tell you this because I did the whole Joseki Explorer oblivious to this, and then had the pain of figuring out the mobile layout at the end, when anoek knocked it back until that was working :crying_cat_face:

:smiley:

Oh and it also has to look good on outrageously big monitors: Joseki Explorer didn’t pass that test either initially. (Guess who has an outrageously big monitor :wink: :smiley: )

5 Likes

Is it possible, in connection with the redesign, to address what I consider the most annoying functionality problem on OGS? That is, when you close a game in someone’s game history, you revert to page 1 of the history, rather than staying on the page where the game was located. This makes it extremely tedious and time consuming to examine a large number of games across a history.

Or is this a backend issue?

4 Likes

I just open historical games in a new tab.

Edit: i forgot about phones…

1 Like

Already aware of this :slight_smile: In order to make the tabs work properly the elements have been removed from the bootstrap grid for now

Right right, I generally start working on the standard size first and then adjust for mobile, rather than taking the mobile first approach. Just habit, but I should probably adopt the mobile first way in the future and save myself some headaches.

Perhaps I should get one of those too. For research :wink:

Should be doable

1 Like

Thank you! I didn’t know that was possible. It is still a bit less convenient than moving directly back and forth, but entirely adequate.

1 Like

Clearly something has to be “first”, but my experience is becoming that “simultaneously” is basically what’s needed to avoid headaches.

Or rather, to bring the headaches first, while you’re still keen, rather than at the end when you thought you were done :wink:

3 Likes

But if they come too early, it’s easier to just drop the whole project… by the end, you’re too committed to just give up when it gets hard :wink:

2 Likes

You can open new tabs on phones too :wink:

3 Likes

Somewhat off topic but I just wanted to say how much I appreciate all the effort everyone makes to improve OGS. And how much I enjoy the banter between all you programmers!
It’s easy to grumble about this and that and rather harder to appreciate the amazing resource we have. As a time-poor go player trying to clamber up the mountain of knowledge, I thank you all for making such a positive experience.

5 Likes

Oh shit! This is gonna change everything for me.

1 Like

Nice work!

As a primarily correspondence player, I’d prefer to have active tournaments viewable from the profile landing page, but I imagine that information is probably only main page worthy for other correspondence players who’ve entered multiple tournaments as well.

Actually, with a responsive layout, Activity is probably the first tab I’d break out into its own frame once the browser view went large enough anyway, which would nullify the above use case issue.

~ Friendly Poke ~

This has been quiet for a few days :stuck_out_tongue: is it still something you’re looking into working on? :slight_smile:

I haven’t had a ton of time to put much thought into it the past week. Hopefully I’ll have time to look at it a bit this weekend.

4 Likes