Vacation during tournament

He didn’t rescind but restate this further down that comment:

And I disagree with this in a title tournament of 3 rounds, each lasting 9 months or so. It is not discourteous of me to go on holiday for a week or two without telling people or asking permission, particularly at common holiday times like summer or Christmas. There’s a game clock (typically +1 day up to 7 max fischer), there’s a limited budget of vacation time per account (with subscribers getting more as a perk), that’s how the system is designed and supposed to work, and it’s not rude to use it.

8 Likes

I think it is worth requoting and emphasising this, because it is true, and explicitly OGS policy (AIUI).

No-one needs to feel that they are being rude using their vacation except in a situation where it was explicitly stated otherwise (eg a Tourney where the rules say “don’t use it”).

4 Likes

theirs some good points in here, i haven’t used my vacation time yet. but i tend to only use it when i’m going somewhere where internet connection isn’t guaranteed or available at all. in terms of ogs tournaments i’m mostly playing correspondence ones where me going on vacation wouldn’t be that much of a problem, i don’t start live ones when i know i don’t have time to play in them.

1 Like

Can I just check with people who know that vacation doesn’t affect live games?
I always assumed it was only for correspondence.

1 Like

Yes, it is only for correspondence.

1 Like

vacation is a thing in corr games, not in live. but the second part of my reply was me saying i don’t start games i don’t intent on finishing, live games do have people that just timeout on purpose and/or start games with the intent on not finishing. but that might be a whole other disscusion i guess.

1 Like

That’s a whole other discussion :wink:

2 Likes

A tournament whose rules say “don’t use vacation” should have vacation disabled — and if we don’t have that option, then such a rule shouldn’t exist. I for one have never read any “rules” for any of the tournaments I joined :man_shrugging:

Caveat emptor. I don’t think we can design a tournament framework that supports in code all rules that tournament directors might want to implement.

I think all tournament participants should read the rules of the tournament, and if they chose not to, they can’t complain when those rules are applied to them.

4 Likes
1 Like

Ignorantia juris excusat Boris.

3 Likes

Ya, ya, I know :unamused:

In German: “Unwissenheit schützt vor Strafe nicht.”

But I guess I won’t join any more tournaments as I will get enough games for the rest of my life from the ones I’m participating in already :sweat_smile:

But still … it’s not about “all rules” that tournament directors could think of, it’s only about vacation, which is a feature on OGS—and IM(admittedly not very H)O it should NOT be forbidden by tournament directors as long as it is impossible to disable this for tournaments.

1 Like

I think we should allow people to use the feature of tournaments as they please.

Tournaments can have hidden details for example, although ranked games are always public (iirc), and it’s allowed because people have a use for tournaments with hidden details.

Why restrict tournaments to specific characteristics and not, you know ?..

I don’t think that’s fair to people who want to run and participate in tournaments that aren’t delayed by vacation. This is a valid wish. Why should they be denied setting this specific rule “just because the feature isn’t implemented yet”. For one thing, this is like holding the development priorities hostage to your opinion. if we go with your preference, the only way that these people could have the tournies they want is by prioritising that tourney feature to get implemented. Why would we “waste” precious development resources in this direction, when the same outcome can be achieved simply by stating it in the rules?

3 Likes

I agree that people who want quick correspondence tournaments should be able to run them here.

But what I would want to see is a clear comment from someone ‘official’ that using vacation (a core feature of the site) within a tournament (another core feature of the site) is entirely fine, needs not to be announced or discussed with anyone and is not seen as a discourtesy at all. (Unless stated differently in the tournament description.)

1 Like

I already said:

Is there some sort of “more official than this” that you are looking for?

(Quick check: yep, moderator badge showing :wink: )

4 Likes

Sorry and thank you. I must have missed that. Doing that more and more lately, I bet I’ll soon be promoted to missing-stuff-1-dan.

4 Likes