Vacation time and respecting others

It’s a bit hard for me to find the right words to express my thoughts properly. I think correspondence takes root in correspondence by mail. Where people would send moves by mail and it was very slow, right, so much slow that it didn’t matter how long it takes, 10 years or 15 years. And this attitude translates to online correspondence as well. People treat it as a part of their life where they, for example, play a couple of moves after coming home from work. And it doesn’t matter how long it takes because it’s the process and not the ending that matters. And therefore it doesn’t matter if you or your opponent use vacation time if they feel the need. There’s nothing disrespectful about that. So for these games the right attitude is not caring how long they take.
Look at this great spirit:

That’s the proper correspondence attitude.
But of course, with internet and with fast paced lives a lot of people don’t have this attitude. They essentially treat correspondence as long live game. They want opponent to respond quickly and they want the games to end in a timely manner. If you see 2d+8h time controls that’s probably them.

It’d be great for you to change your attitude towards usual 3d+1d and longer games and treat them as essentially limitless. You can play other faster games to pass time. No one can change their thinking simply like that, of course.

5 Likes