Vacation time and respecting others

You call it “great spirit”. That is just a different opinion. Some people like the game to go faster, others want it to go slower. Just like how some people prefer ice cream and some prefer cake. It really doesn’t matter what I am arguing about, but there is not a “right or wrong” opinion in this question. There will always be the people who like it fast and the people who like it slow. That isn’t going to change. If the people who want the correspondence games slower, that is a valid argument. If the people who want the correspondence games faster, have a valid argument for this. There isn’t a right or a wrong, merely two opinions that are different from each other. There are solutions for both, but when they overlap in the middle, you need to get to a compromise. You can’t fix it for one while making it much worse for the other, so you have to find some middle ground. It won’t make either side 100% happy, but it won’t cause either side to be 100% dissatisfied either. That is the best way to fix it for all in the overlapping cases.

Everyting @Haze_with_a_Z is true BUT that does not mean that “going on vacation is disrespectful”.

In fact, what it currently means is that people who want vacation-free games need to find like minded people and play with them. One mechanism for that is the group I linked to.

1 Like

I think that part of the argument was that the person/people were doing multiple live games while on vacation and having a couple hundred games sitting paused. @Gia was saying that it wasn’t bad to do one or two live games, but Gia didn’t like someone doing multiple live games or live tournaments when they were on vacation with a bunch of games paused at the vacation person’s turn.

1 Like

It’s important to be clear about what is an exception and what is a principle.

If one person is abusing a principle you report it. If one person is starting hundreds of games and vacationing them, that is an exception.

It doesn’t extend from an exception to a principle such as “vactioning games is disrespectful”.

That assertion is false. It is not “how things work around here”.

Of course we can “talk about changing how things work around here”, but that would be the starting point for a discussion, not a fact.

3 Likes

Addressing the thread title directly:

Generally speaking I do not feel that vacation use is disrespectful. It is part of the site and as mentioned above, effectively part of the agreed game-clock.

However; when people look at tournament details they are not shown an estimate of how long it might take. They see only the time settings and this is effectively misleading unless you are familiar with OGS’ generous vacation setup.

Moreover, when I see a person using vacation for less than 24hrs on a regular basis, I find it hard to believe that this is what vacation is intended for. The very name, ‘Vacation’. Implies something more substantial. If it is simply used to delay games on a regular basis then I DO find it disrespectful albeit not against the rules. I would like to see vacation use limited to a minimum. eg. 2 days (minimum) taken off your allowance each time you trigger it regardless of how long you use it for.

7 Likes

WRT to a player playing a game while on vacation…

if you are playing a correspondence game where they are allowed 1 day per move, and they have access to internet on their vacation for ~1 hr, they are NOT wrong to play a live game and leave the corr games alone.

They have 1 day to consider the move, not 1 hr. Vacation is not a ban from the site, it is an acknowledgement that life goes on beyond the site… just because they like go and find time enough to play a live game does not mean they have the time that they are afforded for their next turn of correspondence.

6 Likes

I’ll add last and perhaps only time I had to take vacation… my rate of play actually went up xD

It seems my point was missed by many.

I’m not saying vacation is disrespectful in all cases. I specifically mention people who hoard correspondence games with no intention of finishing them and instead play live games. My guess is they are hoarders and easily bored and yes I still don’t like this. If it’s not frowned upon, well, I can still find wrong something that is generally acceptable.

@VicktorVauhn, “silly”, “insane”, you seem to feel free to use these kinds of words against me and only me, and it’s not the first time either. I don’t know why you feel so strongly that you have to strong-arm me when you don’t like what I say (would it make a difference if I were Bob and not Gia?), but I’m not going to respond to you any more.

3 Likes

As someone whose constantly had tens of ongoing corr games for over 5 years, i use the vacation when i’m unable to play moves due [insert reason]

I actually think it would be more disrespectful if i would just let my games timeout every time when something else happens in my life.

1 Like

If those reasons occur on a weekly basis then it’s more reasonable to describe this as ‘over committing’.

What’s the point of a vacation feature that simply allows people to play 25% more games 25% more slowly?

6 Likes

Then the issue isn’t vacation time, the issue is mass time outs.

1 Like

I guess they don’t want to time out either.
They want to take the game/ tournament because it’s there, and then put it aside because live games are shinier.

I can see what you’re getting at but the playing of live games doesn’t necessarily demonstrate the abandonment or neglect of existing correspondence games…

I usually like to play as per the defaults. ie. live games with analysis off and correspondence with analysis on. This means that I might have time for a blitz game during my lunch break on my phone but not have time to study an intense correspondence game with analysis on my laptop.

4 Likes

I can’t name people, obviously, but the players I speak of, it’s very, very apparent what they are doing. There is an excess of games on hold and lots of live games.

I understand some people feel targeted, but what most describe as a counterpoint (what they are actually doing and they think that’s what I refer to) is not excessive or disrespectful, it’s just everyday life, but I’m not talking about everyday life here.

1 Like

The way to report disruptive players, where you can name names, is the “report” button.

Yes, and I did that once.
My point here is to raise the issue, not to name names. But it’s a bit difficult when I say “200+ correspondence games on hold regularly and 20 live games per day every day” and people understand “50 correspondence games on vacation some times because life happens and a few live games because it’s easier with my current schedule”.

1 Like

You don’t know what’s going on in peoples’ lives that they may have to take a break from playing for a while.

I like being able to take a break from my corr games when I feel like it, and for any or no reason; and if the price of that luxury is that corr games and tournaments take longer to complete, then so be it.

Maybe it is disrespectful to leave so many games waiting: Maybe it’s equally disrespectful to badger your opponents to hurry up and finish their games.

1 Like

100% NOT what I’m referring to.

Yes, that’s disrespectful. Much, much more than asking people to honor the time settings they agreed to.

Actually, saying “I’ll do what I want because I want to and I don’t care if and how it impacts other people” is entitlement as well.

4 Likes

And in this case, I am quite literally entitled to take a break for as long as vacation time allows, and don’t need to justify it to you or to anyone else.

3 Likes

I rest my case.

4 Likes