Want 9x9 lessons

Looking for 1 dan or better teacher skilled at the unique characteristics of interactive 9x9 play. Must have taught before and willing to give one free evaluation lesson. Want to learn advanced principles for making good moves and avoiding bad ones on the 9x9 board. I’m 8k at OGS (plus/minus 2), playing only 9x9.

2 Likes

Hi david265!
I don’t know if I qualify as 1d so feel free to discard me, otherwise I would be happy to discuss this in private.

You can reach me in private using the temporary email address temp@springtimesoftware.com . If there is a way to chat in private at OGS, I have no idea how it is done.

1 Like

I gave you my email address, but perhaps we can’t talk in private. Can you give me your OGS profile address, so I can see some of your games? Or if you’ve lost your interest in my request, that’s fine, just let me know.

1 Like

Crikey! Give Sofiam a chance, it’s practically the middle of the night over here!

2 Likes

You haven’t been on Sofiam’s player page yet?

1 Like

Yeah but to be fair, Sofia is always awake at crazy hours :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

Just to close out this thread, I will say that Sofia and I met on Zoom and OGS and had a 1.5 hour lesson. I found it very frustrating because I like learning interactively, with both the student and teacher illustrating move sequences easily. That is not possible in OGS or KGS due to the requirement to switch control in review games, and to keep creating new games and trying to attach to them so both people can see the moves clearly. We kept getting lost in this process, unable to find new game boards that we had to create, and this happened many times. We even tried to share boards in Zoom using Share Screen, but of course that is view-only since Zoom does not have a Zoom app for go.

I did Web research and found that there is no online go tool that simply simulates a single real go board, with both players having the ability to make moves (and marks) at any time, even if we drop the requirement for supporting text chat and make use of Zoom for concurrent audio chat.

Perhaps this thread is useful as evidence of the need for a good free-teaching mode, perhaps not. But I’ve lost my interest in lessons, 9x9 or otherwise.

1 Like