Watching a pro game

Pro game could be one of the longest thing to watch live in full length.
I am curious, did you try to watch one of these from the beginning to the end? If yes then how long did you stay?
Watching a live record does count, not only a video or to be there.

• I never stay so long
  • I did (3 to 5 hours)
  • I did (6 to 10 hours)
  • I did (even more as 10hrs)
  • I do it many times

0 voters

Comments appreciated if any experience.

I’ve seen a few on YouTube that are about 1 hour and a half. They have live commentary and are quite entertaining (when there are sub to understand what they say :grin:).

So I miss an option in your poll:

• I did (less than 2 hrs)
3 Likes

That’s nice and I expect more answers like yours too, but that’s not the topic, I want to see if anyone is enough crazy on go to watch these long normal time games, not the “blitz or semi-blitz” one.

2 Likes

I relayed Japanese 3h main time pro games on OGS for fun.

Wouldn’t recommend it to anyone.

8 Likes

Never from the beginning and a maximum of 5 minutes.

3 Likes

I’ve watched countless of long pro games, i think the longest were the relays of jubango games between Gu Li and Lee Sedol in 2014, iirc those games lasted like 5-7 hours on average.

I also watched all the LSD - alphago streams live in 2016, those were about 6 hours per stream with all the interviews and such, but since it was such a historic match, i really wanted to see them, even if they were streamed in the middle of the night for me ^___^

5 Likes

I am impressed because even if I could qualify myself as a bit of go addict, I never did that. May I ask, when watching do you search moves on a side board, open some joseki books or do you simply stay watching the game? That’s amazing to stay so long.

1 Like

I’ve watched a lot of 1.5 hour pro games, i.e. the NHK cup.

I also watched the Sedol vs. AlphaGo games, which were very long…

It helps a lot to have good commentators, though. Michael Redmond does a great job, and I always love Cho Chikun’s commentary

6 Likes

I would even watch Cho Chikun without caring about the match.

3 Likes

I watched the Lee Sedol – AlphaGo and the Ke Jie – AlphaGo games live, and those must have been more than six hours.

Those games, of course, were special:

1. Historic
  2. Extremely high-level
  3. Professionally commented in English

I wouldn’t watch six hours of, say, Ilya Shiksin vs Ryan Li with commentary by xhu.

3 Likes

Yes, i play out some variations and read my mind off while watching those games xD
Espesially with the games that are played or relayed on ogs, with those i can play out variations easily and explore the possibilities and reasonings of pro moves. Though its most of the times ~impossible to understand why pros are playing the moves they do, they always have at least 2 or 3 good valid reasons behind each move, i’m lucky if i can somewhat understand even one of those xD

2 Likes

Even when pro’s use the same boards, stones and rules as we do, I seriously doubt if they play the same game.

2 Likes

Actually that match is happening tomorrow 9th of august, streamed on twitch! xD
But the commentary will be by Pavo Lisy 2p and Andrii Kravets 1p European Pros - Online League

Also today will be the match between Pavol and Andrii in ~2.5 hours from now, in case anyone wants to join and spent couple of hours with pro level european go ^___^

3 Likes

Having live video commentary is cheating. Because you don’t watch a pro game anymore, you watch commentators.

It’s completely different when you only watch a game relay for the enjoyment of looking at a strong game.

1 Like

Having live video commentary is less effective in an educational sense.
Cheating is negative and judgemental.
:grimacing:

2 Likes

It’s a matter of levels. Sometimes cheating is good for you and your happiness.

1 Like

Having live video commentary is less effective in an educational sense.

Strongly disagree. Kyu players at least will learn much more with commentators revealing the relevant variations and techniques.

2 Likes

I was only rephrasing @S_Alexander’s words.

I don’t see that big of a difference. I’m not really as much watching the commentators as I am watching the game except having some moves explained and variations expanded on that I might not otherwise understand - even spending hours looking at it.

3 Likes