Way to manage "?" mark ranks

Hi there!
I posted this in the topic about ranks before but none of the developers replied or even noticed (although users did).

I’m a huge fan of OGS and regularly play here for more than half a year.
After an AlphaGo vs Lee Sedol event there seems to be an increased flow of games and users which is good for site and players as well but there are a lot of those who set their rank not appropriate to their skill which is misleading and frustrating.
That statement is especially true for dan level players.
I have two suggestions:

1. Make a check option in game creation table to play only against those with solid rank (like option on IGS)
    not all of us in a mood to evaluate new players, it’s ok to do it from time to time but, please, let us choose when to do it.

2. Let bots into the server which can help in numerous ways:
    2.1 be available to play against which would be helpful for those with ? mark rank to if no one available or wanting to play against “? rank” and the player wants to get a solid one (in that way suggestion 1. won’t be a problem);
    2.2. compare ranks on different servers if a bot is multi-server one;
    2.3. computer go is on the rise and it’s increased amount of players so it should be good in general.

So, what do you think?

We’ve considered #1 but have held back… we want new players to be able to find matchups, but we consider this as an option from time to time.

For #2, as I’m sure you can imagine… bots take a lot of resources to run, have you considered signing up to become a site supporter?

Also… we allow users to run their own bots! https://github.com/online-go/gtp2ogs So you can certainly help us out here. Looking forward to seeing what you can come up with.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 91 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.