Weiqi Project, Shanghai Summer School 2024

We are pleased to announce that the Shanghai Summer School 2024 will be held in Jian Qiao University from July 19th to August 11th 2024. :star2:

Calling all Go enthusiasts from around the globe! Whether you’re a beginner or a seasoned player, this camp offers a great opportunity to sharpen your skills and delve deeper into the game.

Come along with us and 30 other participants for an exciting adventure! Enjoy fun Go games, learn from our experienced teachers, and explore different cultures with us.

We are delighted to inform you that accommodation and Go training expenses will be covered by Jian Qiao University. The rest (visa, flight, etc) is the responsibility of the participants We look forward to welcoming you to the Shanghai Summer School for an unforgettable experience!

Registration fee is 100$.

:star_struck: Help us spread the word among your local Go clubs, and let’s make this year’s Shanghai Summer School!

:link:For more information and registration, visit: https://www.gench.edu.cn/dwjl/2024/0311/c2050a139150/page.htm

Join us at the Shanghai Summer School 2024 and have a good game! :tada:2024-07-18T16:00:00Z2024-08-10T16:00:00Z

5 Likes

This is very odd. The registration form asks you to upload your photo and a scan of your passport: I haven’t seen other events ask for anything like this. The information page, registration form and paypal address are on three different domains. The price is surprisingly low. Personally I would want to know a bit more before sharing my ID or sending any money.

Identity theft isn’t cheap, so I can understand they want some money too. :wink:

It might be totally legitimate of course, but I had exactly the same thoughts as you. (Though I wouldn’t go anyway, so I don’t need to worry.)

Hello,

Thank you for bringing your concerns to our attention.

Regarding the request for a photo and a scan of the passport, we assure you that these are standard requirements for international events to verify participants’ identities and facilitate the visa application process if necessary. However, we understand your concerns, and we will take them into consideration for future events.

Regarding the separate domains for the information page, registration form, and PayPal address, we apologize for any confusion this may have caused. The Shanghai Summer School 2024 is an international event, and it can be challenging to find a unified way to cater to all countries’ requirements.

As for the registration fee, we strive to make the Shanghai Summer School accessible to as many participants as possible. Therefore, we have set the fee at a reasonable amount to cover basic expenses while ensuring a high-quality experience for all attendees. The reason behind this decision is simple: last year, we received many applications from participants, but unfortunately, a significant number of people decided to skip the event. That’s why this year, we have implemented a registration fee.

We appreciate your diligence in ensuring the legitimacy of the event, and we welcome any further questions or concerns you may have. Please feel free to reach out to us directly, and we will be happy to address them.

P.S. You can check the links:

1. https://www.reddit.com/r/baduk/comments/1by68yy/weiqi_project_shanghai_summer_school_2024/
  2. Last year participants (russian language) - Игра Го. Секреты мастерства | VK
    Best regards,
    Mrs Shtanova
    Assistant at Weiqi Project, Shanghai Summer School 2024
2 Likes

I mean, it’s China

I am sorry that we use three different domains together here. But the event is held every summer by Shanghai Jian Qiao University since 2015. My email address is 20058@gench.edu.cn. Our website is www.gench.edu.cn. If you have any questions about the project, please email me just for sure.
Dechang Sun from Shanghai Jianqiao University.

Weiqi Project, Shanghai Summer School 2024 (gench.edu.cn)

Thank you very much.

The project is not for making money at all. We are sponsored to promote the game of Weiqi worldwide. Every year the university has a budget of RMB 200,000 covering the expenses such as tution fee, housing, local transportation, gifts etc.

Once paid, please email your PayPal receipt to my email 20058@gench.edu.cn. I am going to deal with it within two days.

Thank you for your attention. Any way your concern helps us improve the project and we will take the security and legitimacy of our events more seriously.

Rest assured, the Shanghai Summer School 2024 organized by Weiqi Project at Jian Qiao University is a legitimate and reputable program. The registration fee of $100 is just kind of a test for ensuring a real attitude for participants.Last several years we did not ask any fee.
If you have any further questions or concerns, please don’t hesitate to reach out to us directly. We appreciate your interest in the game and help spreading it around the world.