Weird ideas: Custom user information for your friends

I had a couple related ideas, but these are kind of strange and ambitious.

A: It would be cool to be able to give other users aliases that only you can see. There full username can also be visible next to the alias or in the user pop-up. That way you can change xx_sHaDy_NaMe_xx to Jimmy, or whatnot. This way it’s easier to remember who you’re dealing with among the indecipherable nicknames.

B: I would be helpful to have a small text box to leave notes about any user. You could bring up your notes from the user pop-up. “Likes dogs”, “Grandmother of five”, " Hates playing with handicap"… That way if you play with someone new and they leave an impression (good or bad) you can easily remember later.

I like these ideas because I feel they would help foster more friendly atmosphere and a sense of community. Though perhaps this is unrealistic. :slight_smile:

What do you think? What ideas do you have that would make for a better community here?

3 Likes

I think that’s a really interesting idea that merits further discussion.

We do have one piece of “viewer-specific” info on profile pages, and that’s the box that tells you what your game history is against that player. The one which says “You have won 8 out of 14 games against alemitrani” or some such thing, and has links to up to five of your recent games. So, it wouldn’t be an entirely new idea.

2 Likes

“weak against double hane”
“always falls for tesuji x”
“takes an inferior action in response to joseki y”
:wink:

I suspect adding a little piece of “stored in user’s cache editable text box” would be simple enough to add here, but I think a hover over affect on the name (especially from the friends list) would be most helpful (if possible)

2 Likes

Yes, would be very helpful as some of the less nice people like to change usernames.

1 Like

I think block / ignore is account based not username

1 Like

If they’re your “friends”, you should be able to remember…

1 Like

The times when your ‘friends’ were a subset of the people you can remember are long gone … :grin:

3 Likes

i meet a lot of nice people on here and I tend to add them on my friend’s list. After a while their username isn’t enough to jog my memory of our previous encounters, so I look through our older games. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn’t.

I think this idea will help and make this site more sociable in general. : >

1 Like