Werewolf S06: An Emperor in Atari

I then investigated bugcat because of something he said, I thought he might be playing innocent. I was wrong. : ))

I think one drawback of this game is the idea we come into it knowing their is a coward and a seer. It seems artificial. We should really not know what the special characters are!!! Lol

I kept wondering why people kept asking the Seer to say if he claimed to be the Seer while it was clear to me from his clues… I didn’t even think that everyone else had to translate them :flushed:

But I err on the side of this, tbh :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

Lol that is because you speak Greek!!! : )

You did have the advantage of reading my replies and knowing I was the seer. As anyone can be lying at any time even to claim being a seer, one has to try to make do with most imperfect clues.

Oh and many people said I was acting suspicious. I was aiming for a bit of an aloof aristrocat.

My hint is here:
Ο λύχνος τοῦ σώματός ἐστιν ὁ ὀφθαλμός· ἐὰν οὖν ὁ ὀφθαλμός σου ἁπλοῦς ᾖ, ὅλον
τὸ σῶμά σου φωτεινόν ἔσται·23 ἐὰν δὲ ὁ ὀφθαλμός σου πονηρὸς ᾖ, ὅλον τὸ σῶμά σου
σκοτεινὸν ἔσται. εἰ οὖν τὸ φῶς τὸ ἐν σοὶ σκότος ἐστί, τὸ σκότος πόσον;

lucerna corporis est oculus si fuerit oculus tuus simplex totum corpus tuum lucidum erit
si autem oculus tuus nequam fuerit totum corpus tuum tenebrosum erit si ergo lumen quod in te est tenebrae sunt tenebrae quantae erunt

It was clear Nghtstalker was trying to state unclearly to be the seer, but did not seem ready to actually state in clear terms to be the seer. The reason I found it important to have somebody actually claim to be the seer, is because if it was a lie, the real seer could come out and contest the claim. As long as Nghtstalker doesn’t state it in clear terms, the ‘real’ seer would perhaps not dare to speak up.

I translated the Latin, which didn’t give any solid statement about being the seer either. The Greek I couldn’t translate, since the three translators that I tried all failed to make anything sensible from it, however, as far as I could discover it had a similar message as the Latin.

2 Likes

Ah, yes, it was biblical text on top of that. I usually google and not translate it, more often than not if I google ancient text it leads to a page with a good enough translation.
(I guessed it was biblical from context and format, I didn’t recognize it at first glance)

1 Like

Exactly that.
Yes, I got that he wanted us to believe he is the seer without having to say it explicitly. And that was what made him so suspicious. From the actual seer, I would have expected to either stay hidden (out of fear to be assassinated) or to clearly state that he is the seer and to help us.

Well, I see that when you mainly put the focus on the roleplay, it’s interrupting to openly talk about roles and strategy. But from my view, it’s first of all a discussion game, where you need to talk openly about game mechanics to get anywhere. Roleplay only comes second, in my opinion.

3 Likes

I personally don’t like it when we just stop roleplaying and only play the probabilities of who is what.
There’s no need for a setting then, we could just draw lots, assign roles and discuss as us.

I don’t agree with that either, because there needs to be some information available, some context for the players, so they know the rules of the game universe.

I think there is a balance of doing the discussion game, mechanics and all, but in character. This gives a unique flair to each setting, otherwise we would end up with the same discussion each time, more or less.

2 Likes

I did practically beg people to reread my responses… : ) hoping someone would translate my clue
without coming out and saying so…

Oh well. I did figure if I came out and said I was the seer I would be immediately targeted.

"The light of the body is the eye: if therefore thine eye be single, thy whole body shall be full of light.

[23But if thine eye be evil, thy whole body shall be full of darkness. If therefore the light that is in thee be darkness, how great is that darkness! Matthew-6-22-23"

1 Like

Of course we need context and setting.

It just seemed to me artificial for us to be discussing a seer and coward. But this is not something I am willing to to die on the stake for :slight_smile:

Having unknown and/or surprise game mechanics is a possibility, but it can make it much harder to have a balanced playable game.

I think it’s an interesting tactic to drop hints about being the seer, hoping that only a few select others might understand these public comments. However, this is tricky to do effectively, and once everyone is aware of these hints and discussing them, I think it would have been better to remove any ambiguity about the claim. In this case, leaving ambiguity back-fired on the seer, removing him from the game too early. Even having another one or two confirmed innocents would have been very helpful.

3 Likes

:sweat_smile: This did not go well.

Well, you kind of did. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

3 Likes