Western Dan Challenge 2022

Yes, doing that in February seems a bit premature since there are still technical problems, but doing that later would be a nice way to promote Rengo on OGS. One rule could be to only take into account 2 vs 2 Rengos on a 19x19 board. One of the potential problems is to have an automatic way of counting the number of completed Rengo games played by a given user.

As for prizes, I don’t have much to offer apart from two AI-sensei vouchers (1 month + 2 weeks) that I didn’t use, assuming they don’t have an expiry date.

2 Likes

Great! Do you think we should keep the idea to encourage “dan” to come play? In that case that each rengo has a dan player at least?

I fear that this condition would make it too difficult to find a game, unless you lower the bar a bit (e.g. the strongest player has to be at least 2k).

And assuming there is an automatic way to count the number of games which satisfy that condition.

2 Likes

Maybe @Clossius1 could give some advices on how he handled it last year?

Last year the rule was different because to be in the “dan” category, you needed to be 3k or stronger on the first day of the challenge. It wasn’t necessary to check the level of opponents or the level of the players at each game.

3 Likes

It certainly was around that time that we got a lot of new dan players on OGS, but I’m not sure if we can blame the Western Dan Challenge for that

6 Likes

Original purpose last year was to get more games for dan-ranked players on OGS. That morphed last year to more games in general as kyu players wanted to get involved.

This year, the purpose is more games in general (and remind myself how fun it is to play more). I kept the name so people would remember, but it’s not restricted to dan-ranked players. Everyone should play more Go all year. I’m just using February to encourage that.

1 Like

Perhaps this message is unnecessary, but I feel I must say that I disagree.

14 Likes

Anyway I already have the badge from last year

Screen-1-21-2022_83159_PM

I won’t attempt it again. Playing over 100 games in a month is bit too much, as many games take over 30 minutes since I don’t like blitz.

But if you like blitz and/or you don’t play a lot in general, this may be an interesting experience.

2 Likes

The irony of this post coming from you is beautiful :heart:

1 Like

Why? I was serious.
I’m a prime example of someone who shouldn’t play more go, I think. I don’t know how many 19x19 games I usually finish in a month but I think it’s a high number. (edit: 433 in December, 331 in January so far…)
I kinda have already admitted I have a “problem”, I think it’s normal not to wish it on anyone else.

Playing more can be good of course, but not for everyone and with limits. The 1500-2000 games I mentioned some posts ago would probably be over that limit. But 1000 too, 37 19x19 games every day for 28 days is not easy even if you have a lot of correspondence games ongoing. I did it, but I don’t recommend it. (I don’t say this because I don’t want to be surpassed, it’s just not important, trust me).
I think 100 is ok. Obviously, everyone knows (or should know) when it’s too much for him/her.

8 Likes
Tired ramblings... read if you want

Oh yes sorry I didn’t think of it from this point of view. I suppose you’re right here.

From my point of view, I was considering you as one who already plays “more go” advocating for others not doing the same.

However, earlier in the thread you also suggested you too could play even more go than you currently do. :man_shrugging:

Edit: ok I made this comment before reading your whole post and you already pretty much addressed it yourself, sorry I’m tired haha I will try to be more restrained. Good thoughts, thanks for sharing.

1 Like

Speaking as one who regrettably plays essential no go at all (3am work alarm SUCKS), I think we can possibly agree that many people can find a healthy way to play more go (even if not necessarily 100 games per month) without it becoming a problem?

Edit: yeah this one you pretty much agreed with too I should just shut up now :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Yes, sorry if I was too self centered.

No, not at all I don’t think. Online relationships and communities can be fickle. For every person who needs the motivation a challenge like this offers, there is another taking on more than is healthy due to FOMO. It is very beneficial and healthy to have a range of perspectives presented, as I feel you have done.

5 Likes

Apparently a lot of people are interested in this event happening again :thinking:

I wasn’t planning on it because I wasn’t sure about the long term effects it had. Also, due to medical bills I didn’t quite have the extra money to fund it again.

If I tried to do something it wouldn’t be next month due to the short notice. Perhaps March. It would also give people a few more days to reach 100 games :stuck_out_tongue:

I think Rengo would be a cool idea. Perhaps set a goal of 50 games for a rengo team. Not sure if that could be tracked or not though. Depends on OGS stuff.

3 Likes

I mean, it doesn’t really need any more organization than we already have in this thread, right?

I just don’t want people to avoid participating because it could be more official, for some definition of official. I think perfect is the enemy of good here.

Yeah, I think if there aren’t cash prizes to hand out, casual self-tracking / self-reporting in here is probably fine.

1 Like

So, due to everyone’s interest, I talked with Anoek and the WDC will be happening again. I will announce it soon and it will take place in March.

6 Likes

Prizes or no prizes?

1 Like