Western Dan Challenge (Kyu player prizes too!) UPDATE: $1550 in prizes now!

Wow, I managed to get on the second place in my group.

5 Likes
Overall KGS
Dan 3k+ 8fledermaus8 716 Dan 3k+ moyofan 198
pt8o 587 harikiri 141
Leiye 337 wurfmaul 127
SDK 9k-4k :dolphin:Sofiamā€‹:dolphin: 1024 SDK 9k-4k
Ehomba 321 LinuxGooo 157
TDBear42 229
DDK 10k-25k Zafnok 147 DDK 10k-25k
Paid Actor 107
DashaTabasco 72
OGS CGS
Dan 3k+ 8fledermaus8 716 Dan 3k+ Hrafnir 93
pt8o 587 hanayeol 25
Leiye 337 iryumika 22
SDK 9k-4k :dolphin:Sofiamā€‹:dolphin: 1015 SDK 9k-4k PopcornCzar 33
Ehomba 317
TDBear42 229
DDK 10k-25k DDK 10k-25k
Zafnok 147
Paid Actor 107

These are the final results. If there is anyone who did not get counted or if anything is amiss please let me know by next Friday. After that there will not be anything changing.

I discussed with the OGS mods about Leiye, they concluded it was not against the TOS and it was not an intentional sandbagging so I went with their judgement and feedback from others for the prize.

19 Likes

Yeeeehawwww we made it!!!

Congrats to everyone and thanks to Clossius, his wife, Goop, Anoek and the other folks who helped going through the thousands of games, the donators (baduk.club!!), those who contributed otherwise and the hundreds of players who took the challenge!!

:smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

As Paid Actor said above: By the means of the WDC I became accustomed to OGS - to the point where I play most of my games here. :+1:

Iā€™m curious to know if others have experienced the same, across all ranks? :smiley:

Thanks yā€™all!!

10 Likes

I started on OGS but WDC helped me keep up the pace to reach SDK literally the day after the challenge ended. March 1, I hit 9k, and I imagine the number of games played to qualify for WDC certainly helped me achieve that milestone. Thinking to become supporter of OGS now haha

9 Likes

And @Clossius1 happily collects his commission from @anoek. ā€œI told you Iā€™d get you more site supporters. Well, here they are.ā€

2 Likes

No pricesfor CGS? Ireally tried to boost that server, but opponents were hard tocome buy, even lower ranked ones

If you played 300 on CGS you would get a prize :partying_face:

Clossiusā€™ post shows CGS rankings, looks like they will get a prize, right?

1 Like

No. No prizes for anyone that didnā€™t get the 100 games minimum

Zenbeggar played way above 100 games but spread out on several servers iirc. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Not sure tho how prizes are handled for CGS.

1 Like

CGS prizes are mentioned here :arrow_heading_down:

1 Like

Hihi, just thought Iā€™d chime in briefly.
I didnā€™t follow the discussion earlier, so I was kind of surprised I was mentioned.

The reason for me to play in the WDC was just to test myself, seeing if I would do alright playing a lot of games at the same time. The challenge itself was deffo the trigger for it, but I didnā€™t really expect to win anything after seeing several people had like 150+ games after half a week or so.

I donā€™t really think I was sandbagging, though.
I took the open challenges of dan players rather regularly, and didnā€™t really have much control over who accepts the ones I have open.
Yes, I could intentionally restrict the rank further. But since I am usually just happy to play anybody nice, I didnā€™t see much point in that. I had a couple of games with 4d+ people, like 3 or so with Jonas, so yeah.
The current rank of my account is not intentionally low either. I just found it hard to play at the absolute best of my abilities when juggling 150+ concurrent correspondance games. So I did end up losing some games more than Iā€™d else. But itā€™s not like Iā€™d play better blitz or anything either. : ]

Aaaanyway, seems like the discussion is mostly over anyway. Just thought it made sense to answer a few points. :'D

Cheers for putting up all of this, though! Was good fun to push myself to actually play a bunch of games for once! So thanks a lot for all the effort, much appreciate it! :slight_smile:

13 Likes

Just to clarify this again.

It was not sandbagging, intentionality is irrelevant :slight_smile:

As far as the OGS-side of things is concerned (no comment about the spirit of the tournament): donā€™t worry, none of the moderators consider you to be sandbagging. Playing people from lower ranks in ranked games is in no way sandbagging and totally allowed. The ranking system accounts for difference in strength as well, so it should be no problem in that regard either.

What would be sandbagging, is resigning games deliberately to lower your rank so that you appear to be weaker to your opponent than you actually are. But youā€™re not doing that, since you appear exactly as strong as your opponents need to expect from you.

(the same holds for the airbagging mentioned, by the way)

9 Likes

That is one of the best points of the OGS glicko system imo: Being allowed to play ranked games against opponents of different strength, without handicap. :+1:

1 Like

The DGS Elo rating system handles this too. Any decent rating system should. Are there any that donā€™t?

1 Like

Hey, I just noticed that a badge appeared on my homepage.

Capture

12 Likes

Not sure that Tygem, Fox or WBaduk handle it that way? IGS does, but it feels also excruciatingly slow.

1 Like

Looks great, love it.

2 Likes

yeah, since opponents are hard to come by, I had to spread out.

2 Likes