Western Dan Challenge (Kyu player prizes too!) UPDATE: $1550 in prizes now!

Yeah! CGS or OGS, you’re depriving the world of your Go skills!

2 Likes

CGS_80gamesbatch

2 Likes

Next higher tier than purple is golden/yellow as seen from this total games badge

1 Like

Ah that really is nice lookin. I’ll have to try it out.

1 Like

So, are we just waiting for KGS results right now?

2 Likes

That’s what we do. ^^

We are still counting KGS results. I was sick over the last few days so I apologize for the continued delay.

UPDATE on DGS. I cannot find a way to count games on DGS. I was looking through and I didn’t see anyone specifically sign up for DGS so I am going to make a call to not count the DGS games. If you played on DGS just message me and if you were signed up I will count them. I should have checked this before hand so this is lack of foresight on my part. I apologize.

Once KGS games are counted and the early results are posted there will only be a couple stages left. We will have to pair the servers count to the players and tally their total. We will then post the results with the early winners and give 1 week for others to contest results in case we missed anything. After that week is passed that will be it. We are trying to make it as fair as possible and take into account human error as there is a lot of information. But any further delay will be deemed unreasonable.

Once the week has passed, the final results will be posted if there are any differences and the sponsors will be contacted to send the prizes out.

Once again, thank you all for participating and I can’t wait to share the final results with you all!

15 Likes

Thanks again. Don’t overwork yourself D:

5 Likes

Thanks for the update - and get well soon!

1 Like

KGS Early Results

KGS Number of games
moyofan 198
LinuxGooo 157
harikiri 141
wurfmaul 127
Zenbeggar 81
nupoehali 78
Palmer 78
pancake 78
Positive2 77
ja 62
Whithak 54
Allorius 49
mejinsai 47
TheBart 42
prolateyn 36
okapi, knif, PascalVici 35
Vel 32
Sadaharu 31
AlphaTuna 30
andyzhou 30
Hapzy 29
raadux 27
lzrby 27
Shin0e 25
Thegodofgo 25
evilcat 22
KoyoToya 22
Merik 22
okapi18 okapi 22
Shineblood 22
vegmandu 21
todbeibrot 18
BrunoArteaga, Bruno 17
Berlinda 16
AvikDragon 14
PatioGo 13
ItsYaBoiBP 10
Rahmat 10
jlt 9
Sofiam 9
TelegrafGo 9
Bouzheu 8
tzbk 8
Hansa 7
monster123 6
Goshi 5
HappyLook 5
nadoss 5
Bjondro 5
Deinite 4
felipem 4
skiwamp1 4
bagelfan 3
bagelfan 3
Element 3
hersa, saffy 3
neilh90 3
Zark0n 3
AStone 2
FlogoTV 2
jarstar 2
Ragnarr 2
wwww111 2
ax88 1
DuskEagle 1
Ethelor 1
grimreaper 1
houth 1
jingo 1
Keley 1
LGildas 1
LlamaMeats 1
loshoyos 1
munen 1
Nakagawa 1
shisu04 1
8 Likes
Overall
Dan 3k+ 8fledermaus8 716
pt8o 587
Leiye 337
SDK 9k-4k :dolphin:Sofiam​:dolphin: 1024
Ehomba 321
TDBear42 229
DDK 10k-25k Zafnok 147
Paid Actor 107
DashaTabasco 72

Overall Results. Sever specific results coming soon.

Notes:
I tried to be fair with my judgement so in order to be transparent I will say a few things.

Leiya will get a prize in the overall results but will not be eligible for the OGS specific prize due to sandbagging. The evidence suggest this was unintentional but the results cannot be ignored. I didn’t want to take away someone’s prize for unintentional rule breaking but I also cannot ignore OGS TOS and the spirit of the challenge.

The account TDBear42 seems to have an air-bagging result but the account has a history of air bagging in the past months before the challenge as well. But this account also has many games against other ranks as well. It was just disproportionate. It was not above 70% however so the prizes will still stand.

Paid Actor reached SDK within the challenge but it was at the very end of the month and the majority of games were played at the DDK level. Thus, I put this account in the DDK range. (Congrats on ranking up btw!)

Dasha Tabasco will receive a half prize in the overall section due to not reaching 100 games but still coming in 3rd place in the division. I wanted to give 3rd something :slight_smile:

Thank you all for bearing with me while I figure out all the prizes. I’m sorry for the delay but I am doing my best to get as accurate and fair results as I can.

15 Likes

TIL 100 games was actually part of the rules >.<

Of course you can ignore the TOS if they are against the spirit of the challenge, if it was unintentional.

If someone didn’t play ranked, so their strength is not their rank, but decided to play ranked to take part in the challenge, and sandbagged because the system is this way, it’s their fault? If not, and since this is sandbagging, then why this specific player gets a different treatment?
I’m not going to sherlock/ snoop the whole thing, if it’s unintentional it shouldn’t matter.

That’s why we can’t have nice things. :roll_eyes:

I appreciate the Challenge and the effort and all, but that OGS rank whatever system is getting in the way of things, and really transparency is out of the window just because. inb4 yes I know it’s anoek’s money and anoek’s server, but if he doesn’t want anyone else other than strong players playing ranked games so that the rating system can keep congratulating itself, just tell us.

Bumping into that rating algorithm all the time is getting tiring.

…But still giving someone a prize if they didn’t get 100 games (which, I don’t mind, better the prize doesn’t go to waste and it’s close enough, but enough is enough with the sandbagging curse).

The spirit of the challenge was to attract dan players on OGS so that it’s easier for dan players to find games.

A dan player who plays mostly against kyu players doesn’t contribute much to that goal, so I can understand that he is not eligible for the OGS specific prize.

2 Likes

Woo! Congrats everyone!

Thank you Clossius and everyone else who helped out and took part! It felt like a real challenge to cross 100 games for me so all you 200+ people have my highest respect.

In the aftermath of the event I’ve gone back to other servers but I’ve grown so accustomed to OGS I feel homesick playing away from it now. My next goal is to get my Fox and Panda accounts to SDK and then OGS will probably be where I primarily play. Hopefully it doesn’t take nearly 100 games to do this lol

12 Likes

Nice to see these results. Wondering something, if OGS and overall overlaps, is it same person that gets both prizes, or are they unique winners?

2 Likes

The prizes are cumulative. :slight_smile: (If that is your question?)

3 Likes

Yes, that’s what I was wondering. Thanks.

2 Likes

I might be missing something here, but I don’t believe this player is considered a sandbagger by OGS, nor that they’re breaking the ToS.

8 Likes

Sandbagging is when you pretend to be weaker, leiyee didn’t do that. I knew that he’s a lot stronger than me but I was really happy to have a ranked game against him for good experience.

6 Likes