Western Dan Challenge (Kyu player prizes too!) UPDATE: $1550 in prizes now!

I will be using ogs’s built in features at the end of the month.

Corr games that finish in Feb will count however there are some little stuff that will be checked on a case by case basis.

4 Likes

No the game against bots doesn’t count.

1 Like

Hi, about games played on 1st/28th, are they counted regardless of timezones?

2 Likes

It will be by the time zones of the server.

2 Likes

I will not be taking any more sponsors or donations for this event. I am very grateful to everyone who has supported this event so far but I am barely going to keep track of the prizes as it is lol. If you would like to support further please do so by spreading the word about the event. Even if someone joins late they can still play and perhaps win a smaller prize or even just join to have fun and achieve the challenge of playing 100 games in 1 month. Thank you all for making this a fantastic event way beyond what I could have imagined! I can’t wait to see everyone’s games in Feb.

~Clossius

6 Likes

What little stuff? Just because I have a number of correspondence games on the go right now and I want to make sure they qualify. Without this challenge, only very few if any would finish in February. But, thanks to this challenge, I will be putting in extra effort to try to get them finished in February. However, I wouldn’t want to put in that extra effort if they don’t qualify for whatever reason when I could instead put that effort in elsewhere (live games, correspondence games that do count, etc), so we need to know what the little stuff is please. FYI - I have not been doing anything dodgy like delaying the end of a game until February that could otherwise finish now as that would be against the spirit of the challenge. Thanks :smiling_face:

4 Likes

Just things that obviously show players trying to end the game quickly. Early res, all or nothing when they don’t normally, rushing opponent, ect…

1 Like

Ah, got it. Fair enough. So basically, as long as we play in our usual style, remain polite, don’t resign unless the game is clearly lost, etc., then we should be fine, right?

Incidentally, what do you mean by “all or nothing”? Do you mean the style of trying to kill everything and take over the whole board, rather than the usually more successful style of “we share - just my share is bigger”?

2 Likes

Do this and you should be fine.

2 Likes

I registered as a DDK but after rank update I might be SDK, do I need to re-register?

10 Likes

Probably not? If I understood Clossius’s latest video, you can wait until the end of the challenge and get prizes based on the section where the majority of your games were played.

4 Likes

I’m surprised nobody mentioned that the shortest month of the year was chosen. :stuck_out_tongue:

7 Likes

Correct

This is like the NaNoWriMo of go!

2 Likes

The crossover I never knew I needed <3 have you completed any NaNOWriMo’s?

No, the most I’ve ever completed for NaNoWriMo was only about 5k words. Two of my friends finished 50k last November.

I think playing 100 ranked games is quite a bit easier than writing 50k words. What would be the equivalent challenge? 200 games? 500 games?

1 Like

depends on how fast you can write I guess, I’ve competed twice but the most I got to was about 20k I think

Nice event!

Just curious but how will the number of games be tracked? Especially when there are so many servers where the players can play.

Will there be a place where the score will be tabulated automatically, or will it be checked manually and we only know the score at the end of the event?

6 Likes

It sounds like @Clossius is working with the server admins, so not completely manual. But if I understand from my own post above, there will not be an ongoing leaderboard.

1 Like

does it count when playing serious simultaneous games on different servers? Cool challenge!