Western Dan Challenge (Kyu player prizes too!) UPDATE: $1550 in prizes now!

This starts now! Let the games begin!

6 Likes

Oh it started? It’s still January here haha

2 Likes

Challenge is on UTC time zone, right?

1 Like

Correct, UTC. The competition officially started 84 minutes ago.

3 Likes

Is there an official list of participants anywhere or an email confirmation of entry? I signed my kiddo up and he is very fired up, but I didn’t receive an email confirmation or anything. I want to know if the sign-up went through and he is good to go! Thanks to everyone who has made this possible!

2 Likes

I just played my first game, an interesting 300-move win with a midgame ko fight.

I was able to take a lead as White (4k–4k) starting with Black’s decision to play the situationally dubious A rather than the proper B.

An interesting point is that, professionally, Black has never * played the pincer in this whole-board opening.

(* That is, not in a formal dated game I can find in Waltheri)

Also in this game, I had a gut feeling that I should play the “upward” tiger’s mouth on the left side, but I persuaded myself to play the “downward” one. Turns out first bugcat was correct – now I look at the board again, I can’t believe I played the --15 :D

3 Likes

Hide your ranks, hide your stones!

1 Like

Just checking, do these have to be even games?

the point is to get more people in the community playing, so I would be very surprised if handicap wasn’t allowed…

4 Likes

How to confirm the participants?

1 Like

Do games where my opponent disconnects midgame count?

I’ve played 10 ranked blitz games. (5 wins, 5 losses.) I feel like my limiting factor is endurance. The intensity of playing is physically demanding, like a light cardio workout. If I can learn to relax, and exhale slowly while playing, I think I can do even better.

Based on my endurance and availability, I’m on course to play perhaps 200 games in February!

4 Likes

There is not a confirmation email as I’m only one person and I didn’t want to write out 250+ emails xD

However if you send me your username I can confirm weather or not you are signed up and if not, then I can manually put in your entry to make sure your games are being counted.

That’s my problem exactly… 10… 9… 8… 7… 6… 5… 4…3…

2…

clack

6 Likes

Since there are a lot of people asking for confirmation I will be working on a confirmation list coming soon. However, we have 250+ usernames to verify that they exist and on which servers they exist so please give us a week to work through it all.

If you are not on the list yet but think you are your games can still be counted. When I release the list if you do not see your names, simply message me and I will add you to the list and the games you have played will be counted on the next counting loop.

Basically, the games you are playing now will still count. Just make sure you are on the list when it is published or you can ask me directly and I can look. As long as you are on the list by the end of the month your games will be counted.

Have fun everyone!

6 Likes

Why not just post a google spreadsheet with all the participants’ username info?

You can also export the Google Form results to a Google Spreadsheet and share the sheet :slightly_smiling_face:

5 Likes

Sharing personal data without consent would probably break some data protection laws. It’s conflicting with GDRP at least.

I’m pretty sure usernames and taking part in an open challenge are not sensitive personal data, as per GDPR.

5 Likes

Usernames are already public, he just can’t share attached emails.

5 Likes

Agreed that a single username participating in an open challenge and winning potentially a prize is not personal data. But some people have shared their multiple handles/email addresses etc with the intention of helping the organizers to determine winners and communicating with the participants, not for that data to be shared publicly and possibly associated to a single entity. In the later case that data becomes personally identifiable by association and a subject to data protection laws.