Western Dan Challenge (Kyu player prizes too!) UPDATE: $1550 in prizes now!

I think you understand that, if a person who has 9 games in OGS wins as BethIstheBest, it would be absolutely within the scope of the challenge to make publicly known that the rest 91 games were under her KGS BethIstheAbsoluteBest account.

It’s common sense; nobody asked, expected or offered to share e-mail addresses or PayPal accounts.

It is not that simple and not every piece of information that can identify a person falls under GDPR; let’s not try and discuss law and GDPR in a fun challenge kindly initiated to the benefit of the Go community.

tl;dr The simplest way to not be subject to ToS ever is to opt out of a service. :woman_shrugging:

We might have a different understanding of common sense. For me it’s common sense that the minimum of personally identifiable data should be shared and only for the purposes which the data subject presumably gave consent when sharing the data. When the Google form asks for contact information, one is tended to believe that the data is actually used for the purpose of informing, also in the case of confirming registration.

I understand this is not universal understanding but colored by how laws and public discussion has progressed recently in Europe.

2 Likes

I’m baffled, who even said email addresses will be shared? Why did this become an issue.
At least I hope you agree that different accounts of a person must be linked to that person for this challenge to happen. Publicly if needed. At least that has to be common sense.

Europe is big enough to contain many of us, fyi.

I don’t agree that it’s necessary to list them publicly though, especially in the case of confirming participation. For announcing winners, sure, but most of the participants won’t win any prizes. I have a fresh memory of a recent European tournament where the organizers listed all the registration info to a public Google spreadsheet because it’s the easy way. I hate when that happens, but I understand, it’s convenient and people don’t care.

2 Likes

Ideally, public identifier would have been requested on the sign-up form.

In absence of that, I have to agree with @Keep_Strong_Ukraine that sharing the linked accounts without prior consent would be a breach of privacy.

2 Likes

The google form really never said anything about a leader board. So sharing all the connected accounts from every server might really be a bad idea. I am not really against it, but fact is that it was never mentioned anywhere. Why not just share the number of games of the top ten/fifty/onehundred accounts? This does not have to link accounts or show account names. Also adds a little bit of mystery to the challenge, because you don’t know which accounts are connected.

2 Likes

I bet you that people will come out demanding to verify results. (and screaming bloody murder about bots and cheats and stuff, the usual)

I could have bet people will make a fuss about a regulation so frequently misrepresented it’s almost lost its meaning, but I guess I missed that window.

Anyway, everyone have fun.

1 Like

In the end its all about fun and challenging yourself to play one hundred games. Also if people don’t trust Clossius to correctly verify the results than they should not participate.

2 Likes

I’m pretty sure the showing usernames was supposed to confirm that people are signed up.

See

Also I don’t know how one would know who the top ten/fifty etc are until it’s over, and it’s a bit late then to find out you weren’t registered :slight_smile:

I expect this. But I can take it to let people have a great event!

3 Likes

It’s off to a great start so far! I know a few people in the East who might sign up to participate, and I played more ranked games the first day than I ever have in one day before.

1 Like

Do we see an effect on server stats already?

3 Likes

Instead of a leaderboard we can do an informal poll here to get an idea. Maybe there can be other polls at the end of each week.

How many games did you play on the first day of the challenge?
  • None
  • 1-5
  • 6-10
  • 11-15
  • 16-20
  • 21+

0 voters

1 Like

In the long term, a wikipost table might be the best format.

1 Like

I still waited minutes to get a game on automatch :weary:

btw, does anyone know what the “busy” hours look like? I’d like to know when the good times to play are.

1 Like

My policy at the moment is to always hit the automatch for at least a minute, to scoop up anyone else who might be searching. Then I’ll accept custom games or make my own.

7 Likes

I’m curious as well if with auto match people leave it at default or not.

The default seems to be not to search for handicap for blitz but to search for it for live.

I wonder if changing the setting to “prefer” would open up for accepting more challenges (assuming one is ok with handicap games, which is probably in the spirit of this event anyway)

I guess it’s not clear to me if the default setting is looser or stricter than the other options, or if it’s opening you to more or less challenges.

1 Like

:open_mouth:

5 Likes

715 games played on day 1 on OGS alone!

9 Likes
How many games have you played so far?
  • 0-5
  • 6-15
  • 16-35
  • 36-55
  • 56-80
  • 81-99