Western Tsumego Challenge

There is an entire thread somewhere about what would be required for making the tsumego section on OGS a lot more useful. It’s probably not a development priority at the moment though.

2 Likes

There’s definitely a few

Back to the question

For the moment, while it might not be ideal, I can suggest a couple of workarounds while we wait for some development on the Puzzles section :slight_smile:

• You can bookmark the individual puzzles, in the same way you can link to them. So make a browser bookmark (even bookmark folder) for the ones you like, eg maybe
    Play Go at online-go.com! | OGS https://online-go.com/puzzle/22118
  • The search on the puzzle page actually allows you to search users not just the names of puzzle collections. So if I want to find the Maeda Nobuaki puzzles by @atorrante I could search Maeda or Nobuaki or atorrante (and see 6! pages of puzzles contributed by @Atorrante :slight_smile: 10 per page ~60 collections!). I’ll admit being able to search users on the puzzles page isn’t intuitive, I just tried it and it worked :slight_smile: Ok this one was just because Atorrante happened to add their name into the puzzle titles OGS Puzzles: Workshop & Laboratory - #7 by Atorrante :man_facepalming:

The statistics and things would be nice, and I don’t have a good workaround for that one :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thanks for the workarounds @shinuito. Bookmarking individual puzzles will work for me. I looked through some of the threads and it seems that all of my suggestions and more have been around for quite some time.

Too bad there are no improvements. I think the popularity of tsumego-hero shows that there is an appetite for tsumego-websites and ogs has already many great problem collections. Maybe a great tsumego experience would be another good argument for more sitesupporters…

1 Like

Yeah, I went a little overboard when adding ~3500 go puzzles to OGS Puzzles.
My solution for how not to get bored by lockdown.
:grinning:

3 Likes

how is everyone going?

I’m still in with my modest goal
We are approaching the end :laughing:

2 Likes

I’ll probably miss my reduced 40 hours goal slightly.

3 Likes

Met my goal for the month :smiley:
Month to Month my rank stayed the same though :sweat_smile:

5 Likes

Same. With so few, it is just some fitness nothing to progress.

3 Likes

I have not and will not meet even my reduced target. Nonetheless, a valuable lesson was learned - do not take on more correspondence games than you can handle or you will not have time for anything else (tsumego, live games, reviews, forums, etc…). I intend to finish my currently running correspondence games without starting too many new ones and continue the tsumego challenge every month.

4 Likes

Maybe doing tsumego is overrated :stuck_out_tongue:

But actually I do feel that it improves reading, and the solutions in some instances make you aware of new tactics and ideas, moves that might not have occurred before.

I have been doing tsumego maybe a bit more frequently, but I didn’t set myself any sort of challenge. I am starting to get better at visualising stones/groups in sequences and their liberties (which I find much harder in some cases).

I think there’s much more to improving on the 19x19 though than just tsumego, like the decisions for all of the moves the might lead up to one :stuck_out_tongue:

6 Likes

I’m coming in a bit shy of my modest goal of 300 so depending how many I do today will see if I make it or not :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: but I enjoyed the regular practice and it’s more than I’ve done in several months leading up to it. I’m going to try to keep it up. Thanks @dragon-devourer for the inspiration!

No rank change but I’ve been struggling at a plateau since just after the rank updates anyway, the games are always really tough, not going to be any quick and easy rank upgrades for me any more I think

4 Likes

Not able to finish 3000 but have done 2080 as a daily routine plus about 300 additional ones, so not bad I guess. Planed to work on Utaro Hashimoto’s collection but RIP.

I didn’t anticipate any significant improvement by grinding tsumego for a month. Guess it’s unlikely to happen at my level. Maybe I did improve tho, since my GoQuest rating reached its highest at 2151 and is now stable around 2100, while my highest rating ever before April was 2070. However I’m not sure how much of the improvement the tsumego thing has contributed to.

5 Likes

Got to 750, not quite my goal but good enough! Thanks for the challenge @dragon-devourer! I’ve already used a couple of things that I learned, in my ongoing games.

I discovered Fran’s Library partway through and spent a lot of time there; I now have a long-term goal of mastering that whole collection.

3 Likes

At your level, maybe you should aim more at quality as quantity (like solving classical Japanese tsumego collection?).

Did around 600 tsumegos. But most of them were quite easy. So this month felt more like warm up.

1 Like

I have posted my final results. I did just over 50% of my reduced target but most of that was in the first half of the month when I was doing tsumego everyday. Then I started some extra correspondence games, had too many, and didn’t do many more tsumego :roll_eyes:

My target for May is to do just 5 mins of tsumego every day but consistently every day to really make it a habit. Also, I plan to play more live games (target 5 per week). Other than that, I will just focus on finishing the excess correspondence games and avoid starting many more so I have more space in my Go time for tsumego and live games in June.

3 Likes

OK, despite of not having reached my reduced target, I still clearly won. Where do I collect my money?

1 Like

So, here are your prizes :wink:

• the joy of solving tsumego - check

• becoming a stronger Go player - check (you might not believe it but I’m sure it is true - might just take a while to show)

• the adoration of your fellow players - here you go: :heart_eyes: :star_struck: :hugs: :astonished: :partying_face: :beer: :beers: :clinking_glasses: :+1: :ok_hand: :muscle:

All hail our winner and tsumego master @richyfourtytwo. Bravo!

(post win interview):

So, how does it feel to be the winner of this prestigious challenge? :rofl:

2 Likes

Overwhelming. People in the street now recognise me, I never had that before. Thanks a lot to my parents. Mom, I couldn’t have done this without you!

For autograph cards please contact my agent.

3 Likes

Bravo ! :clinking_glasses: :+1:t6: :v:t3: :prince:t3:

1 Like