Western Tsumego Challenge

You’re welcome :wink:

Thank you also for this. Good tips indeed so listen up the rest of you!

The purpose of the ranked games is: (a) to put your tsumego training into practice in real games; and (b) to see if the tsumego did their job and you actually got stronger. So I’ll leave it to you to judge whether your correspondence games count towards those aims.

3 Likes

For anybody who still seeks to enrich their tsumego study: As part of the WTC im going through the Road to be Dan Player series by Baduk Doctor. It’s one (short) vid a day, in which he proposes various life-and-death/tesuji problems to work on. He explains very well and gives advice on how to read properly. You can count about half an hour per session, depending on your reading speed. Greatly recommend. :+1:

4 Likes

Michael Redmond puts out tsumego videos regularly (1/day). I like to do those as they come out. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

@LiuBang10 Great ressource, I’ll add those too. ^^

Edit: Here is the link to his channel in case someone doesn’t have it:

3 Likes

So, how’s everyone doing? In theory I’m still on track for my target of 50 hours, but easter gave me a nice head start, so atm I doubt I can do it. Very optimistic about > 40 hours though. 2000 will be easy to reach, though I have done all the super-easy stuff now, meaning the tsumego per hour rate will drop now.

4 Likes

My target of 1500 was over ambitious. I’m on track for more like the suggested default of 300. As usual, I have over committed myself on fast correspondence games so they have to take priority :roll_eyes:

However, in terms of improvement, I have played one ranked game, me 7k vs. random 6k and I won! Obviously not a statistically significant sample but a win is a win :grin:

3 Likes

Doing 6/d, failed 3, made 17 aside, failed 5.

That’s 11x6=66+9=75 for 11 days.

4 Likes

I’m a bit above my target of 10/day after I switched from focusing on James Davis’ Life & Death (harder status problems) to Graded go problems for beginners vol 2 (many easier ones). I’m taking this opportunity to reset my tsumego practice and force myself to read multiple variations not just the first instinctual guess. I like those videos by Baduk Doctor posted earlier too, they require me to work at reading carefully. Overall done more tsumego in 10 days than in the past month so already a success for me

3 Likes

Keep doing 90 everyday, which will make 2700 in the end. Need to find some time to do hashimoto utaro

4 Likes

I’ve been almost keeping up with 30/day but keeping track of that number is hard enough. I’m not measuring attempts, time, or anything like that at all. I try Cho Chikun problems until they get too hard, then do a bunch of easy ones on goproblems.

3 Likes

Well, I’ve done 64 more tsumego this month than I would have otherwise, so I’d say it’s going alright all told.

2 Likes

I’ve attempted to solve 1164 problems:

524 on tsumego-hero.com ,
550 on 101weiqi.com/guan,
50 on 101weiqi.com/training (until the paywall blocked me, dang it, it’s a great feature), and
40 problems in Baduk Doctor’s Road to Be Dan Player serie.

Since I’ve seen @jlt’s and @ßàbå_ķî’s posts about Shin Jinseo’s daily routine and kifu study I started reviewing pro games too.
I merged it with joseki learning: I look for one I want to learn on ps.waltheri.net, gather a few recent games in which it was played on Go4Go and review 'em on OGS/ a rl board.

Besides having fun watching the professionals struggle and strife I feel that I actually get a lot out of it: Direction, big points, urgency, sharp sequences and the effort to not waste a move: All the good stuff is there plenty.

…and plenty is what I need in regards of my bad record over the last days, and the plateau I’m hovering on since months lmao.

So far there is no tangible progress, except for the method I’m acquiring - which is certainly worth it in the long term.

5 Likes

If you still have an appetite for puzzles, then I’ve got some more for you.
:innocent:

4 Likes

Its also a + you are doing it on a real board to the feeling of stones and playing them yourself by placing them on the board gives you such an amazing feel for everything.

2 Likes

I recently played a live game on KGS against a 14k (my rank had been quite sandbagged due to losing on a new account). Doing tsumego has definitely helped me with reading and finding some tesuji in that game. For someone who rarely plays live games I’ll say it was a lot of fun and showed great progress for me!

4 Likes

Yeah, I agree - playing sequences on the rl board is for me sure the best way to memorize/get a feeling for them. I wonder if there is some kind of muscle memory involved?

(It also makes me want to get nicer stones finally lmao)

2 Likes

I got bored doing tsumego on my phone all the time so I set some up IRL

Top: Go Game Guru (GGG) easy, bottom-left: GGG medium, bottom-right: GGG hard, 9x9 top: intermediate Chomego, 9x9 bottom: advanced Chomego :sunglasses:

5 Likes

Nice layout!! Even the clock is ready for a blitz! Maybe not a pic to show to not go players, as it’s easy to check your priorities…

Still in my plan with 6/day and since it became a challenge I fail much less on the harder ones. Did a few more aside, mostly by being invited in the puzzles by @Atorrante thread. Can’t resist to click on next…
I’d like to add a few words about progress. For the ones who had a big lack of reading it could well induce a (big) jump but for the others it may be not so obvious because of the digestion time. Furthermore if you try to put in practice some newly acquired elements which is great in itself, you may even lose temporarily a few levels, the time you get experienced with them.

3 Likes

I’ve been slacking on 2~1k homework recently and working on some 3~4d ones everyday (I kinda do them for fun initially so have not tracked my progress). I find the 3~4d ones begin to make more sense to me than in the past (like one or two years ago) and I feel I benefit more from them so maybe I’ll consider doing less kyu puzzles and more challenging ones.

4 Likes

Is it possible to add OGS tsumego collections to my private ogs tsumego collection? I found some tsumegos by Nobuaki made by @Atorrante that I like and want to solve. But I always seem to forget the number of the last problem I solved. Also I have to look for the link to the collection again…
I would like to have some place where I can “save” OGS collections and see my progress, maybe even a statistic…

1 Like