Western Tsumego Challenge

@dragon-devourer: looking at our starting ranks it seems clear that the difference between our strengths is about 5 stones. It just unclear who’s the stronger one! :joy:

1 Like

Just did 90 to warm up

2 Likes

I’m in! Will work through some old books or online tsumegos.

4 Likes

Keeping doing my 6 everyday with 2 a bit hard but not impossible

Was fooled on 1 easy once. Didn’t do more as that aside.

2 Likes

Great. Insert in line for yourself in the wiki post above. 2nd message in this thread.

1 Like

I did. By the way the table doesn’t support more than ten mentions ^^

1 Like

Thanks for saying so. I did wonder. I’ll change them all to not mentions to avoid confusion for any newcomers

1 Like

Is the Number of Ranked Games field supposed to be all-time or during the Western Tsumego Challenge?

My assumption was ‘during’. And I’ll have a very low number there. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I meant during the challenge.

That is fine. Me too! The idea was to maybe do just a few per week to see if all that tsumego has enabled you to rank up :wink:

1 Like

The challenge has officially started as of 13 and a half hours ago (if we’re going off UTC)!

So…

Ready?

Tsume…?

…Go!

Although, feel free to start +/- 24 hours to fit in with your timezone / sleep pattern - just adjust the end of your challenge accordingly.

Also, to anyone who has missed the start - feel free to sign up anyway and just join in part-way through. You’ll just have to do more tsumego per day to catch up :wink:

3 Likes

I just had a nice run on goproblems.com. I did 20 problems 15k+ and got all of them right. This boosted my ranking to an unheard of 8.3k. I should probably stop now. :wink:

3 Likes

What about a time schedule, like 1hr/day for example? Quantity as a primary goal looks too easy to cheat yourself.

Set up a table to keep track of my work. Too lazy to open excel and do this locally.

Daily Homework

Everyday I do 90 puzzles ranging from 3k~2d. In the first two days I did 30 for each level of 3k, 2k,1k. Starting from Apr 3 I stop doing 3k and replace those 30 problems with 20 1d and 10 2d ones, since I feel 3k-1k problems are not challenging enough. As it is very clear how many problems I do for each level, the following table only lists the scores (number of problems I have solved correctly).

Other notes:

1. Tsumego mainly means life and death in Japanese, I believe. My daily homework, though, is a mix of L&D, tesuji, semeiai and endgame puzzles, where L&D is >50%.
  2. Puzzles are generated automatically by the website I’m using so there might be repeated ones.
  3. The scores in the table do not faithfully reflect how I have done since I sometimes misclick or fail to find the strongest defense.
  4. I time myself. 1 min for a 3k-1d problem and 2 min for 2d.
Date 3k 2k 1k 1d 2d time comments
4-01 29 24 29
4-02 29 26 27 45
4-03 28 25 16 8 45
4-04 26 26 15 6
4-05 29 26 18 5 50
Utaro Hashimoto
Date Number Accuracy
2 Likes

Yeah, think I mentioned it above: my real goal is 50 hours. With all those super-easy ones that I tend to do the count will be very high but not very telling.

2 Likes

Indeed. This is considered in my original post and there is a column for “time spent on tsumego” in the results table.

That counts as a fail according to Repost of a repost – an old discussion of the correct way to solve tsumego and here’s why:

Day 1 update - I was busy with other stuff yesterday so I had a slow start. Only 7 puzzles in 10 mins compared to a target of 50 puzzles in 50 mins. We’ll see what happens today…

3 Likes

I started today with 50 easy tsumegos. From the Encyclopedia of Life and Death by Cho Chikun. The problems were too easy for my rank, but I wanted to warm up a little before doing harder tsumego.

3 Likes

This thread made me do 30+ tsumego today my brain feels stretched. Thank you thread :frowning:

Also something from Benjamin Teubers tsumego hero website (for those who use 101weiqi and haven’t checked out tsumego hero) - Read below.

" How to do tsumego

For asian people, tsumego doesn’t mean go problems in general, but especially life and death, and also problems about escape and capture rather than just building eyes. From my point of view, a mix of about 60% “real” life and death plus 40% escape and capture sounds nice. There are three levels of difficulty that may appeal to you:

• • Problems where you find the right move almost instantly.
  • • Problems where you have to think for a while, but you can solve most of them.
  • • Problems you cannot solve completely - of course, you sometimes find the right move by intuition, but you can’t calculate completely.

Lee Ki-Bong, Korean Go professor and 8 dan, recommends to do 1/3 of each type, but I believe that you should concentrate on the problems you enjoy most: If you like the feeling of having solved a problem, you can do problems that are not too hard for you, if you’re looking for a challenge, try out harder ones (but don’t spend more than 10 minutes at one time for one problem).

Now the most important thing: Don’t look at the solutions!!!

Let me explain why: The right way of learning Go is to find new ideas yourself, instead of copying those of others. It won’t help you improve, if you know one solution by copying. As you weren’t able to find out alone, your reading ability is not yet good enough to understand the problem completely. Even if you know the solution, you don’t know why it is right and why the other moves don’t work, because you couldn’t read out all variations. So even if you feel wiser, your reading didn’t improve and the problem was useless."

2 Likes

Excited for the chance to actually do tsumego, hehe :>
Should we record correspondence ranked games or only live?

1 Like

Ye I know. You can still get a puzzle correct without reading out the best response on an online tsumego website. Just saying I’d rather use the results the website gives to save time. The scores are not very important imo.

1 Like