What are some common IRL tournament structures?

What are the timing rules for the average face to face tourney?
Do they play to 3? to 5? to 1?
How long do the games individually last?
How long does the tourney run for?
Are they open enrollment or invitational only?

I ask so I A) Know an appropriate amount of time to put for a serious game and B) know how such a brutal game is played on a larger scale.

I played with 1 hour + 3 x 30 sec byoyomi.

An average game lasted about 1,5 h.

In EGF events usually you play 5-6 games McMahon. 60-90 minutes per side plus byo-yomi. (talking about open tournaments - not special events for strong players etc.) King of game you play really depends on players lol :slight_smile:

EDIT: It is true that games tend to be more serious and some players take minutes for moves they deem important. But on kyu level we makes stupid mistakes and blunders nevertheless.

In the United States most tournaments are open to everyone and last one day (three rounds) or two days (five rounds).

I like to use 40 or 45 minutes for main time followed by 5 periods of 30 seconds for byo-yomi. That way each round lasts around 2 hours.

The exception is the US Open, which is six days (six rounds) with the time settings of 90 minutes for main time followed by 5 periods of 30 seconds for byo-yomi.

There is a really neat innovative way I learned how to run a tournament from a Chicago organizer. I made a video about it here: https://youtu.be/Kuq_TO_Wi80