What is Go? (not like how to play it)

I read in a book once, an a character said something along the lines of, “Chess is one of the oldest games, and it is the ONLY one that requires no luck, the result is based only by your move…”

Being a go player, I found this a little frustrating :persevere:. BTW, the book is The Legend Of Greg.

3 Likes

O I’m surprised for draughts origin, as it’s seems to be popular on the African continent.

1 Like

To paraphrase Wikipedia:

A board resembling a draughts board was found in Ur dating from 3000 BC. There are specimens of ancient Egyptian checkerboards, found with their pieces in burial chambers. Plato mentioned a game, πεττεία or petteia , as being of Egyptian origin, and Homer also mentions it. It was said to have been played during the Trojan War.

An Arabic game called Quirkat or al-qirq , with similar play to modern draughts, was played on a 5×5 board. It is mentioned in the 10th-century work Kitab al-Aghani. Al qirq was brought to Spain by the Moors, where it became known as Alquerque. The rules are given in the 13th-century book Libro de los juegos.

So it’s clearly been present in North Africa in some form or other for a long time.

1 Like