What kind of book should I get if I want to learn about the strategy in a full-scale game?

Hello there.
I’m pretty much a beginner at go.
I’ve gone through some Go problems and whatnot, and I’m familiar with the most basic of rules.
However, when it comes to 19x19 - I just have no idea what to do.
I figured there might be a books befitting beginners like me, that teaches the ropes on how to generally play out the game on the big board.

Thanks in advance for your time!

Hi @sugoooi ,

I would recommend the books on kiseido, scroll down to title ’ refining your go technique ’ , this is a really good serie…

http://kiseido.com/go_books.htm

K69, K26, K29, K33, K45

These are advanced books … for beginners i recommend K36, K02 and especially K28 ‘lessons in fundamentals of go’

They have a sale until 7th of january, free shipping and up to 15% discount…

You could try something like In the Beginning. Strategy, however, is I think the most difficult topic in go. It uses your understanding of every aspect of the game. Practicing reading and making good shape will probably be more beneficial at your level. These are foundational. Practice by doing lots of problems in your head, without playing them out on a board or writing down your moves. When you play games right now, don’t worry about winning globally. Look for situations you’ve seen in problems and opportunities to make good shape or to force your opponent to make bad shape. Try to get good outcomes in smaller parts of the board, and as you get stronger you can learn to make those good outcomes work together.

There’s two books I could recommend for you

“Opening theory made easy” by Otake Hideo does exactly what it says on the cover. It’s a slim, easily understood little book that gives twenty basic principles for how properly to think about the opening. “In the beginning” suggested by Rowan is another good openings book, but it is a little more advanced and (IMO) a little more dry. It will definitely be useful to you after you’ve read Otake’s book.

The other classic book for beginners is “Lessons in the Fundamentals of Go” by Kageyama Toshiro. This one covers beginning techniques and concepts at all stages of the game, and is a heap of fun to read.

Finally, do tsumegos. Lots of tsumegos. I can recommend the elementary puzzles here: https://tsumego.tasuki.org/
These have firstly no answers given, so you actually have to read them out properly instead of being tempted to just click randomly until you get it right. The other great thing about these is that the problems turn up in games frequently.

http://playgo.to/iwtg/en/

Depending on how new you are, this can be a good resource - especially lesson 20 onward. It helped clarify many concepts for me when I was first starting out.

2 Likes

I would recommend “Learn to Play Go” by Jeong-Soo Hyun and Janice Kim. There are multiple volumes in this series. Starting at volume one and working your way up is a good idea and has very crucial concepts.

Most of the go books will be helpful, and i share already the ones advised in the answers before too.
And it’s fun and magical to read them.

I think the best book is to play with stronger players and ask them for a commentary after the game, it s far more efficient as reading something.