What non-Go book are you reading right now?

I hadn’t read this Isaac Asimov Story yet, but it is really good.

I started an audiobook of that, but had to stop when the voice of the crazy (in the mentally ill sense) woman got too annoying. Oh, and I cheated a bit while listening to that with a cheatsheet of the dozen different eponyms they give each character.

3 Likes

My edition has a list of characters at the beginning with all of their nicknames. Russian diminutive names are tricky.

2 Likes

I see that this thread has gone dead right now so I will try to bring it back out, at least for a little while again. What are all of you reading right now?

Initially, my goal was to be done with all of my schoolwork by the start of June but here we are now approaching July. I finally have finished and can get back to reading books I personally want to read. Today I am starting Maiwa’s Revenge by H. Rider Haggard. I always look forward to his action-packed and fast paced books!

4 Likes

I am reading blow the roof of now.

3 Likes

I just finished James Gleick’s Faster, which has heaps of fascinating information about “the acceleration of just about everything.” My late father, a fellow fan of Geick’s Chaos, had recommended it to me years ago. I am very sorry now that I am unable to discuss it with him; he was such a fount of good taste and insight about books. I haven’t yet chosen a new nonfiction book to read I usually read a fiction and a nonfiction book at the same time.

I am currently reading a large collection of W. F. Harvey’s weird stories, The Beast with Five Fingers. I am a fan of traditional ghost stories and other weird stores. Harvey’s classic, “August Heat,” is the greatest uncanny coincidence story ever—a masterpiece of concise style, which probably earned it a place in my 8th-grade literature book. My favorite weird story author is Walter de la Mare, who was also a fine poet…

4 Likes

You sound a lot like my grandfather, @Conrad_Melville! I don’t think I have ever heard him say that he is just reading one fiction or nonfiction book at any given time; he is always reading one of both at the same time. He is a remarkably avid reader as well!

(Honestly, if he is not sleeping right now, he is probably reading.) :grinning:

3 Likes

What is your favorite book?
I love the Harry Potter series. Probably my favorite.

What are you reading right now?
This thread on the Online Go Forums.

4 Likes

Clever! :stuck_out_tongue:

I’m currently reading “The seducer’s diary” by Kierkegaard and “The book of tea” by Kakuzo Okakura.

2 Likes

My favourite book?
Dune, by Frank Herbert, has a special place in my heart for several reasons. I enjoy the whole series, but the first book is truly where it’s at for me.

The Looking Glass War, by John le Carré. I enjoys most books be le Carré, but somehow I will often return to this rather slim book. Sometimes, I will just read the first chapter, because I enjoy the prose and the mood that it sets up so much.

4 Likes

Gave you a like for your last sentence. So nice to find someone these days who deeply appreciates style and mood.

I’m rereading the Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy, after being reminded of it by our own forum space adventure.

I’m thinking of switching to the audiobook version, which is read by Stephen Fry. [edit: just discovered that it’s only the first book. The rest is read by Martin Freeman, but I love them both, so that’s not a problem]

3 Likes

I’ve read the first novel in the Hitchhiker’s Guide series, but had to stop in the middle of second, since the copy that I was reading wound up having several dozen pages missing. It was in a paperback binding that had all of novels compiled together, and I haven’t yet bothered to replace it in order to properly continue. I had to check with a friend about whether the missing pages wasn’t part of some sort of joke. They didn’t look like they had fallen out, just never put in, without any gap.

The astronauts game has got me thinking that I should reread Asimov’s Foundation and continue on with finishing the rest of that series.

2 Likes

Your experience with the misbound book reminds me of an extraordinary metafiction novel premised on that happenstance, If on a winter’s night a traveler, by Italo Calvino (one of my favorite authors). It combines an off-beat love story with a complex spoof of ten different fiction genres.

You may want to reconsider rereading Foundation. When I reread it (the first volume) with my book group a few years ago (after some 50 years), I found it had lost a lot of glitter. The first three stories have good descriptions of power politics, but even they have no physical descriptions, no atmosphere, and no real characterization.The last two stories are horribly tedious and amateurish. You would do better to reread the first two robot novels, or The End of Eternity, which some of us (admittedly a minority) regard as his best novel.

2 Likes

I’ve read Foundation only once and compulsively finished it in a few days. I agree that it lacks fine detail, but I liked the overall story that Asimov weaves.

What do you think about the rest of the series?

1 Like

Stop lying yebbelz and Conrad we are all reading this thread on OGS forum as stated in starline’s post

I was never a big fan of the Foundation trilogy, and decided not to reread volumes two and three, after rereading the first. The later volumes were published during my 23-year abandonment of SF, during which I read almost no SF. I think Foundation’s Edge won a Hugo, didn’t it, but the critics and many fans generally have a negative opinion of them.

2 Likes

I’m not lying and my name is spelled yebellz

5 Likes

He is talking about your evil twin yebbelz from the werewolf game.

3 Likes

A lot of respondents mention science fiction books. Let’s add one more: Robert A. Heinlein.
Favourite titles: The moon is a harsh mistress, Double star, Stranger in a strange land, The door into summer, Time for the stars, etc.

3 Likes