What piano songs do you like/play

I’m sure some of you play the piano, what are some songs you play/enjoy?

3 Likes

I love playing Debussy and Chopin. I wish I had time to practice more of their compositions.

Also, Scott Joplin is probably one of the most fun music to play, once you get the hang of all the jumping up and down.

4 Likes

I’m playing debussy’s La plus que lente and chopin’s nocturne op. 62 no. 2. Scott joplin’s maple leaf rag is nice

1 Like

I love movie and television themes. My favorites are the theme songs from Star Trek: The Next Generation and Game of Thrones.

I also enjoy Russian pieces, like Polyushka Polye and Korobeiniki (better known as the tetris theme)

1 Like

I like the Tetris theme too!

1 Like
I want to learn it someday if only so I can at least play Chopin's études and a few of Beethoven's sonatas.
4 Likes

I love piano music, even better than my own instrument (cello), Unfortunately, my only training was two years of an atrocious piano class (although, mea culpa, I was more intent on practicing my own instrument). As a final exam, I played a Chopin prelude (a slow and easy one, I don’t remember which). I also could play a little old-time boogie and ragtime. I arranged half a dozen Joplin rags for string trio, which the group I belonged to played for gigs. In college I composed a rag based on the tonal system of Scriabin (yes, very odd). I also composed 3 art songs based on poems by a friend, and it got performed at a university in New Jersey. I love all the greats: Bach concertos, Beethoven sonatas, Chopin, Debussy, Ravel, Scriabin, Rachmaninov, Bartok, and above all, Prokofiev, whose body of piano work has no rival in the 20th century.

3 Likes

IMHO, here is one of the best, and most difficult, piano works ever:

Edit: Replaced link that went dead. Too bad. This performance (2001, age 61) is inferior to her 2016 performance at age 75! A recent performance at age 77 is also outstanding, but the orchestra in that one isn’t up to it. Argerich, fondly called “The Goddess,” is widely regarded as the greatest living pianist (I agree).

1 Like

Thanks for sharing! :slightly_smiling_face:

Word

1 Like
  • Bach Prelude #1
  • Beethoven: Rondo A Cappricio
  • Beethoven: Moonlight Sonata
  • Poddany: Party Parting … those beautiful chord sequences!

Not that I can actually play them, maybe the title of the thread should be “do you like to try to play” :slight_smile:

2 Likes