What to do when stuck in traffic with my family

The battery of my phone is about to run out, what can I do when I cannot even play tsumego on my phone?

6 Likes

Practice your blind Go skills and play a game against yourself in your head

6 Likes

Talk with your family is one good option, although it doesn’t happen too often any more in these days of WIFI and smart phones. :innocent:

3 Likes

Unless you’re the co-driver, sleep is always an option. :woman_shrugging:

2 Likes

What about the actual driver?!

3 Likes

If it’s the driver asking, we have bigger problems. :stuck_out_tongue:

5 Likes

Play through some new pro kifu and try to memorize it before the battery runs out, then study the game in your head afterwards?

2 Likes

Hold forth on some irrelevant subject for an unreasonable length of time.

“Now, the really important thing about Korean ceramics, from a historical point of view…”

4 Likes

New set of tesuji!

Take out the travel go set!

2 Likes

Well, I don’t know how to drive, just a passager, and I’ve settled for rethinking some of my moves and variations from my ongoing correspondent tournament games (sort of like practicing blind Go and Simultaneous Go at once), and it made me fall asleep sometime right before we arrived home, and almost immediately been waked up again to get out of the car.

7 Likes

Am now disappointed to learn you were not the driver. That would have been Homer Simpson level of awesome

1 Like

Read a book. When I was 11 or 12 I read Fahrenheit 451 on the drive down to Nags Head, North Carolina. Alternatively, you could invent and play an urban version of “Roadside Kadiddle.” Players scan their side of the car. A cow is worth 1 point, a black or black-and-white cow is worth 2 points. A horse is 2 points, a black or B&W horse is 3 points. A corn field is 1 point, a field of other vegetable is 2 points. A church doubles your score, but a graveyard returns your score to zero. This was a car game for young kids in the South when I was growing up.

4 Likes

We have a game in England called pub cricket.

Whenever you see a pub, you try to be the first to spot it. The addition to your score is the amount of legs implied by the pub’s name.

So, The Drum has no legs, The King George has two legs, The Fox & Raven has six (four for the fox, two for the raven), and so forth.

There are more complex variations, but this is a simple version.

7 Likes

That’s way better than the variant I played while on holiday with my friends a few years back, which is called “yellow car”, where whoever sees a yellow car first gets to punch the others.

4 Likes

As a kid I mostly just counted railroad crossings. I’m a comparative dullard in these matters.

On the other hand, you’re never far from a forest around here, and as a kid I would sometimes imagine that those trees were stampeding in the opposite direction. They weren’t an especially rowdy group. Maybe if I’d pushed it a bit harder?

3 Likes

Very interesting, like where you live would affect what kinds of roadside you could see and count. When we were stuck on the highway, most I could see was light poles and trees. But depends on the counties sometimes rice patties, or tea fields.

2 Likes

Haha, I love that idea. :smile: It’s very British, though - wouldn’t work here. German Kneipen usually don’t have “leg-names”.

We used to sing a lot during long car rides and sometimes gave each other riddles to solve. And when my siblings and I were fighting, my mother desperately tried to distract us by shouting “Looook! There’s a stork on that field over there!” or something like that. :rofl: :roll_eyes:

5 Likes

It’s good to have siblings and can be each others’ companies. Sibling squabbles sound a lot of fun. :women_wrestling:

3 Likes

:smile: It was actually mostly very annoying. But I guess, if I would have been alone, that would maybe have been worse. :wink:

3 Likes