What's a good bounty to implement Rengo?

Idea i put in rengo chat before

Blue frame moving for who’s turn
Can delete those 2 text lines
Rengo next players
and
Other players

And delete the line below the board
Black to play

Big saving of space and quite clear

3 Likes

Something like

Creator’s name, please【start】?

Appears only all parameters fixed (teams, Handicap, time. …) or greyed out

Before that a
"Waiting for Creator’s name confirmation "
would be great too in each player screen

Yes, a chat is really useful somewhere for coordinating. Be a global one covering all rengo offers (best maybe) or one in each offer.

So ppl can discuss like i want to play with, can i join, i m free in 5mn, do we use Handicap, for DDK only, we need one more dan player, etc…

I haven’t test yet but

Can you boot out and optionally lock access to avoid repetitive come in?
How are team made? Can the creator switch the places?

Ok i have to test that

1 Like

Yea, test it, see if its intuitive enough :slight_smile:

You can’t lock someone out explicitly from a specific challenge.

I think that if you block them, they will not be able to join (as per other challenges).

But if someone is being a nuisance you will of course report them.

1 Like

This suggestion assumes that there are precisely 4 people playing, which is not necessarily the case.

The reason the “other players” are listed in a small way is so that there can be more of them.

Note that it is much more obvious who’s turn it is in the Live format, where the clock is counting down in the card of the player who’s turn it is.

I do agree that something needs to be done so you don’t end up looking from “White to Move” up to the player card all the time.

3 Likes

Yes if we go for an extensive list of n players it’s a bit more complicated. I think mostly that the list may take too much place at the top of the goboard pushing it down (Even more a problem in desktop view.)
It’s a debate between names at a fixed place or turn indicator at a fixed place (or a mix).
Names at a fixed place may be more easy to understand in the head of players. Indicator may be more easy to program and format (This include the alternating black/white like now.).

1 Like

asdfg[8k] has accomplished lifelong dream of playing with themself :stuck_out_tongue:

Promise I’m not just messing with the dom Corr test 9x9

could be because I’ve got a bunch of incognito tabs open to do this idk

3 Likes

Is this literally what it looks like: asdfg was able to open another browser and join his own game from there?

If so, should be easy enough to deal with that one.

1 Like

No, i think benjito started the game, asdfg clicked the Join button twice in quick succession (before it changed to Withdraw). Two requests sent to the server and the server didn’t complain.

Interestingly enough, the game itself acts like a 1v1 between asdfg and benjito. Poor ben never gets to play :frowning:

2 Likes

If we’re making UI mock-ups, this is my personal preference:

6 Likes

That front end code is available :wink:

5 Likes

I totally can if that’s desired! Problem is what I think is good looking isn’t always what most people think is good looking :laughing:

4 Likes

Same :sob:

@benjito The problem with that design, cool as it appears, is once again “what about when n <> 4 ?”

… maybe it falls back to the other design in that case?

5 Likes

I think we should try and have one consistent design… (Whichever that may be)

2 Likes

How important is it to see all the players? In the design I propose above, only four players would be visible at a time, but I think that’s actually okay.

If observers want to see every participant, there’s the game info modal and also the little drop down (drop up?) menu in the bottom that shows who all’s connected.

7 Likes

I think if it doesn’t we will gets lots of reports saying “I’m meant to be playing in this game but my name isn’t showing up”

3 Likes

Just put a list aside of all players well ordered somewhere else. (And keep a 4 players design at the top)
This will activate only if n >4
Like this you can keep a well formatted page.

1 Like

And asking when is their turn

1 Like

I think it should always be clear to anyone (player or observer) by looking at the UI and without having to click further buttons or pulldown menus etc

• who is participating in this game?
  • in which team (b/w) is each player?
  • whose turn is it right now?
  • in what order are the players to move? (This is strategically pretty important and we usually see players asking about this repetitively during the match when they forgot it again :crazy_face: - and it’s sometimes embarassing to ask for obvious reason ehehe)
4 Likes

Will it be possible to create more as 1 rengo game (like for example a live rengo and 2 correspondance rengo at the same time)?

Can we create different kind of game offer at same time (1 rengo live and one classic go live ?)

In the creator screen where are players joining assigned by default (BBWW or BWBW or all not yet assigned so waiting to be managed by the creator)? I would prefer myself the last one (or the following)

Once 4 players joined an option for automatic assignment (balanced extreme differences of rating for each team) would be great.

Manual handicap setting from the very beginning doesn’t make sense when you don’t have the list of players yet. (And even didn’t discuss it in some chat). Seems to be a major flaw here.
Handicap has to be set manually after the 4 players joined (and modifiable as long as the game didn’t start)

In a idealist way these two pages could be merged so that everything can be discussed and then settled, creator keeping the control.

Time setting, rules, …

The different options selected should be reflected in each player screen btw.

2 Likes