What's a good bounty to implement Rengo?

This is with anoek for review … I’m guessing I’ll either have more work to do, or we’ll see it on beta for testing in due course…

9 Likes

I’ve got huge odds on him requesting at least some kind of change, be it code based or design based or some oversight that he deems critical for whatever reason :stuck_out_tongue: but exciting that it’s possibly almost here!

2 Likes

The review of Rengo has highlighted that loading “Game Histories” on our profile pages is on the slow side - adding Rengo games here makes it worse (because now you are looking for more players in all 40M games in the database).

Anoek is looking at optimising this - possibly we’ll see the improvement in normal Game History first, and then Rengo will take advantage of that.

6 Likes

There’s an alpha version of Rengo at beta.online-go.com

It’s alpha which means “it’s still being worked on, there are definitely still things to be done, and a list of bugs”, but you’re welcome to try it and help find more bugs.

I imagine that the best way to coordinate with potential team members is to be in a chat somewhere, such as #English (or a separate thread here?), and find people who want to try it with you … particularly on beta, there are not a lot of players at any given time, so just opening a challenge and waiting might not be very rewarding :slight_smile:

Here’s the current list:

• Chat flickers in and out, probably due to whether you are seen as being “in the game” and whether the chatter is seen as being “a player” or not… (a crafty design to thwart table talk :wink: )
    • note - the chat is still there, and all visible at the end of the game, it’s just “when it is displayed” that is a problem
  • In the game information screen, the black/white teams should be displayed instead of just the current black/white players
  • In Game History of Rengo games, sometimes the opponent is listed as “NULL USER”
  • When a live game starts, not all players are navigated to the game (should only happen for live games)
  • Notifications - Currently not all players get the notifications, specifically the game started, game ended, and “computer has finished analyzing your game” notifications. There might be others too.
  • When viewing a historical move the player who made the move should be displayed (or maybe that’s, the next player to move should be displayed… it should be updated and in sync with however it is in game)
  • When a review is started in mid game, the review should see the player names updating too
  • When the game is over all or none of players should see the “Rematch” button”. Ideally “All”, but it seems like that might be a bit challenging with rengo and expecatations and matchmaking, so maybe just hide it.
  • When sending a challenge to someone, either the rengo box should be hidden, or we should do something like navigate to the match making screen, add additional invites, or something of the sort.
  • Rengo players don’t get late-game-chat notifications

( the strikethrough items have fixes, though not deployed on beta yet)

10 Likes

Alpha version on the beta server?

Mmmmmmm :thinking::thinking::thinking::thinking::thinking::sweat_smile::sweat_smile::sweat_smile:

4 Likes

I’ve set up an open correspondence game invite on beta for Rengo. Please feel free to join, anyone!

4 Likes

Joined. Btw do you plan a chat in that “making the teams” tab?

We need one more player
did i see that somewhere before?

2 Likes

The problem is that we can’t test if the handicap system works on the beta site since most of us don’t have a rank.

P.S. We are testing rengo here: Partita amichevole

3 Likes

I dunno if multiple rengo offers were made but i am stuck in this one while another rengo started. If i withdraw and come back i get again the same window with same waiting players (who are already playing)

I can join.

@Groin please join again.

Done

1 Like

What’s going on?

2 Likes

Venezia (@yebellz I guess) has to start the game. I did it in the previous one

4 Likes

OK I am going to sleep soon but I’ll check the game regularly.

1 Like

Maybe he didn’t notice that the first rengo offer was made by @_Sofiam and then forgot about his own offer?

1 Like

Started the game! Thanks for playing, @_Sofiam, @Groin, @jlt

4 Likes

You can test handicap with the “manual handicap” setting.

1 Like

The game doesn’t automatically start when 4 players have joined, because

1. The creator of the challenge might not want to accept one of the players

• they can boot players out and wait for different ones
  2. You might want to play 5 or 6 player Rengo, so you want to keep waiting for more.

I wonder what words I should put there to say “the creator can press ‘start’ now”?

3 Likes

That sounds like a bug doesn’t :smiley:

I dunno … there are chats all over the place … do we need another?

I suppose it makes sense, and would look a bit like the chat on a tourney page.

Could we get by with a #Rengo channel in the OGS chat … and maybe a link to there from the making teams panel…

1 Like